Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: So tired I'm scared  (Read 3522 times)

Spangles

So tired I'm scared
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:27:23 AM »

Hi
I don't know why but I'm really tired all of the time. I'm falling asleep on the sofa every night after work, sometimes as early as 8pm, I just feel so drained and washed out all the time.
I have a demanding job which makes me tired and I have also suffered from anaemia in the past, (this could be the issue).
I'm so tired sometimes I can feel my body almost collapsing on me.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

jorainbow

Re: So tired I'm scared
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:41:28 AM »

I fell asleep on my chap at 7.30pm on Friday!!! I've always worked on the theory if my body needs sleep it needs sleep - it's the best way to heal. Certainly don't worry about it that will only make you more tired.  Get some bloods done and if they throw up an issue am sure your GP will help . In terms of staying awake a bit longer if needed I go for a walk or to the gym/swim. No caffeine after 6 and alcohol plays havoc with sleep quality. There was no way that was happening Friday though - I simply needed to sleep!  The main thing is not to worry xxx

Briony

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:51:30 AM »

Have you had your thyroid, B12 , vit D and iron levels etc checked?

Assuming they are all normal, and your diet's ok generally, then it could well be hormone related. Do you take hrt? I know it's a personal choice, but for me, taking hrt and then the pill was the only thing to stop the crushing fatigue. Took several months, but these days it's nothing like that scary, strikes anytime 'what the hell is wrong with me?' fatigue. I've also worked out that high progesterone affects me as much as low estogen when it comes to fatigue.

Big hugs - it's a horrible thing xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »

Yes I agree with sparkle definitely get it checked out - of course it might just be your demanding job and peri-menopause but all sorts of other things can cause tiredness eg certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies (notably iron as you have expereinced in the past), as well as other hormones playing up eg thyroid, and also depression too.

I also agree try not to worry and for the time being make sure you get plenty of rest and sleep and if it turns out nothing is amiss then you will be reassured but will need to pace yourself differently as you go through the menopause - while experiencing these symptoms.

I can't remember how old you are but as you approach 60 if you are able to you might want to consider working part-time if you can afford to. I worked full-time in my mid-late 50's until redundancy when I was 58 and it was pretty tiring!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 09:54:42 AM »

Crashing fatigue?  Have a chat with your Practice Nurse ASAP and see if blood tests are required.  There are some diseases which can cause intense tiredness which need diagnosing and treating that are apart from menopause.  Let us know how you get on!

Spangles

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »

Thanks Ladies, you all make so much sense!
I've decided to use some supplements for a week to see how I get on before I go to the docs, I really get fed up of the doctors as they seem so dismissive all the time and have in the past put everything down to my anxiety, depression and menopause.
If I'm still the same in a week I will go.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 01:19:04 PM »

Shellb - have you seen your Practice Nurse rather than a GP?

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »

I've been falling asleep on the couch for a long time. I always get up early - between 4:30 and 6 am - and I get super tired when I  lay down on the couch in the evening. The rest of the day I feel fine, though.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »

Crikey - up so early? no wonder you sleep in the evening!