Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Basal cell carcinoma  (Read 4305 times)

purplenanny

Re: Basal cell carcinoma
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Hi HB
Sorry, I have only just caught up with your post ( notification problems)

I had one of these on my cheek. It was very small to start with, about 2mm but kept bleeding. My sister insisted I go to the GP and he said to keep an eye on it.

Several months later it had grown a lot and I was sent to the hospital within a week. It had grown to 6mm and I was terrified! The consultant was lovely and very reassuring and told me in detail what he would do (bit too much info tbh). I checked him out online and he is an experienced facial surgeon. I was still dreading it though

The op went well, under local anesthetic which surprised me. I am no good with needles, so that initial bit was horrible. He did have to go wide and deep so as to be sure of removing it all. The op lasted about an hour and 14 days later he confirmed he had got it all. Phew!

I did not need a graft as there was enough skin to close the wound and 18 months later the scar is fading nicely - I highly recommend Bio oil, used every day once the stitches come out.

I am still extremely disappointed and upset with the GP, as I feel he should have acted on my first visit, when it was a lot smaller.

It is certainly a shock to be given the diagnosis but I am sure your Sister will be fine. A lot of deep breathing and talking to myself did help. My best wishes to her and do let us know how she gets on. If she has any questions I am happy to help if I can

PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »

Sometimes PN a growth is too small to do anything with anyway …….. so the advice may well have been the same!  Watch and wait.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »

Thanks PN.
I think the issue will be where it is and also the fact that she has other health issues. No one is very keen on giving her a GA because of that. She is trying to find out whether to entrust her medication changes to the Plastic surgeon or not. She is in touch with her endocrine team to find out.
It's all quite complicated to be honest.

Sure it will all be managed eventually, it just makes everything just that little bit more difficult as she doesn't react to things the way the rest of us do.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »

She must not with-hold any medication information.  The best thing is to discuss with the Surgeon and contemplate what is suggested.  I can't remember, does your sister have an appt. date yet  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »

Oh her medical history will go before and her endocrinologist will let the Plastic surgeon know who is to do what and when. It's just her needs are complex but having had them for many years she understands the risks involved in any procedure. She needs to do the belt and braces thing by making sure everyone knows exactly what they are dealing with.

She should hear tomorrow or Monday CLKD.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »

Not too long to wait.  Then there'll be the decisions to make  ::).  I'm quite sure that she will be well cared for and all complexities considered!  Is her husband going along?

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 03:24:15 PM »

Of course, he always goes with her. He just gets a bit anxious before but on the day he will be great.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »

There's only you and me here this afternoon  ::)

It's the waiting I find the hardest  :-\

purplenanny

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »

I hope everything goes well HB, a worrying time for you

Sending hugs  :hug:

PN x x
Pages: 1 [2]