Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Selling large houses … ….  (Read 8332 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Selling large houses … ….
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 01:28:19 PM »

This topic came up in our house recently.  Hubby suggested that we should downsize and buy 2 small houses instead of this one. Live in one and rent out the other.  We already have one other house that we rent out and he fancies doing the same again.

I pointed out that I love this house as its so warm, very sunny, has a sheltered private garden just the right size, is bang in the middle of the village so very convenient and anyway how could he possibly manage without the garaging  we have here?  That shut him up!!  ;D ;D

I can't bear cold, dark houses, I don't want a massive garden, I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and not have any facilities.  There's no point living somewhere smaller if you're not happy is there?

we have 4 bedrooms here and there's me, hubby and daughter but often she's not around.  However my elderly Mum comes every other weekend and my son pops home every couple of months so I do have to have beds for them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:29:57 PM by Pennyfarthing »

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »

Heavens I had no idea it cost so much to move!!!!! We've lived in the same place for years and both in our 60's but haven't thought of moving yet  I mean we're not old are we and still well and active, and I am still working part-time - well I suggested it (moving) but my husband says he would like to stay here for ever! We don't have a large house but the land is too much for us to manage really (only about a third of an acre) and I don't want to be hacking down brambles in my old age (I don't do that now but my husband does!). It would take two years to sort out all our stuff anyway - well mainly my husband's  :(

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »

We have got rid of stuff along the way.

I can't imagine this will be our last house....I get itchy feet after a while. Hasn't happened quite yet but we have only been in this house for five years.

My hubby has always wanted to build our own, well not him personally  ;D. I always keep an eye out for a plot that would be suitable , so you never know.

Honeybun
X

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »

I used to load the loft with all sorts. My hubby said there was more up there than in the actual house. I mean who needs seven duvets...just in case. They were all old ones.
My previous house had no loft.....well it was a Victorian flat but was cavernous, so when we moved we got rid of loads of things and virtually started again. I sold so much as I had furnished with big furniture that would not suit a modern bungalow.
I still have no loft as my DD lives in the loft.....we did a conversion, so I still can't hoard.

My kids won't have that much to go through and if we do decide to move it will be so much easier than the past few times.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 04:15:07 PM »

So back to my point: is Robert Peston 'right' in hoping to get old people: he's 55 by the way  >:(: to sell their large homes for others to move into?

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »

Yep.  His problem I think is that he can see young people not getting onto the property ladder but that is the Government's fault when they encouraged and allowed people to buy their Council houses  >:(.  The Government of the Day is now suggesting that Housing Authorities offer their properties to current renters are below the market rate but what is the market rate? anything is only worth what someone pays on the day  :bang: :bang: :bang: ……. and I'm selfish.  In order to survive a baby cries otherwise it wouldn't get fed  ::) we are born selfish. 

But to suggest that people who have worked hard to pay for a roof over their heads: what should be addressed is selfish landlords who put up rents every 6 months which forces many tenants onto the streets  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »

:thankyou:  ……..  :wub:

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »

How does allowing people to buy council houses not allow others onto the property market. It enables people not to pay empty money....ie...rent.
They stay for a few years, then sell up, freeing up smaller properties.

If you have to blame anyone blame the mortgage lenders who irresponsibly lent vast amounts of money to people who were never going to be able to service that debt. Now the deposit for a first time buyer is huge.
If banks and building societies had lent properly then we would never have got into this situation.
When we first got a mortgage the rules were loosening up. It was three times the principal wage earners salary + 1 ....ie the wife.
Then it changed....drastically....four times + two.
I was working in new house sales at the time and knew the people I was selling to were going to have problems. Did the banks care....did they heck....until it all collapsed.
Now all first time buyers are paying dearly for banking malpractice.

It's very wrong.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »

Not 'down here' Honeybun.  Because Margaret Thatcher gave tenants the 'right to buy' there were no longer step-up houses for people to rent long-term or build savings for a mortgage in order to move on.  We were raised in Council houses.  Parents in Law stayed in Council accommodation for Life.  My Dad rented for a few years, bought a plot of land, raised enough money to have a house built: therefore moving out, allowing another family to move in. Who stayed in the property for over 30 years.

Now that there is virtually no Council housing stock in England/Wales, people have no where *to* rent  >:( - other than with private landlords who want Blood and Guts before people even get the keys.  Sometimes deposits and other stealth taxes to be paid prior to moving in are too much for people to raise  :'(

The Government of the day keeps telling the public that we have to accept several thousand houses per area but if Council stock wasn't sold there would be property.  Some of those people wanting Council houses will *never* be in a situation to buy their own anyway, they simply don't have the jobs/ability to do so.  There are no longer jobs which equate to the wages required to save for a deposit.  Some may be able to pay the rent each month but can't raise the extras …….

Robert P could begin by buying up all the Pubs that have gone out of business and stand empty - I know of 5 in this area alone and I don't get out much  :-\  ::) ………

What is required is 1-bedroomed properties for young people/students to rent according to their means.  Even if it means that each property is costed differently, dependant upon the income.  But all across the countryside I see 3/4/5 bedroom houses being built …. mind U, the rooms are tiny  :o not room enough to hang a tie!

bramble

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »

I would love to build my own house! Still a bit of a pipe dream though. I would have an en-suite with a bath and a larder in the kitchen and a utility room with space to tuck away the cat litter trays.

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »

We had a thread about this too  ;D

I would have separate loos - a loo, a urinal, a hand-wash basin.  En-suite.

Separate shower room with hand-wash basin.  One large bathroom so that I could lay and watch the sky ……

We have a long utility room - it was 2 rooms and a wall was knocked down.  17 feet x 9 feet.  Chest freezer, upright fridge, ironing board up all the while; 2 airing 'horses':  on the other wall, laundry and dishwasher.  Would love room to put a line across the room …….. door opens on one wall, large window can be opened on the other so wind can blow through.

Heated, indoor swimming pool off the main bedroom - that's a bungalow then  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]