Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Trigeninal neuralgia  (Read 3701 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Trigeninal neuralgia
« on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »

Quoting Dr Sarah Jarvis in Good Housekeeping July 2015:

"Neuralgia is the medical name for nerve pain and trigeminal neuralgia (TN) affects the nerves in your face that vie sensation to most of your face and power to your chewing muscles.  TN is mostly caused by a blood vessel pressing on the nerve.  It results in shooting pains, usually around your jaw or cheek, which last for seconds but can happen up to 100 times a day, brought on by chewing, talking, or even wind on your face.

"Treatment is with tablets that work to damper nerve impulses.  The first-line option is an anti-epileptic drug call 'carbamazepine'.  It his doesn't work or you have side effects, alternatives include 'gabapentin' and 'lamotrigine'.  If these don't work either, your doctor may recommend surgery to decompress the nerve to stop the nerve from sending pain signals".

Joyce

Re: Trigeninal neuralgia
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »

I got Gabapentin & Amitriptyline for it. I couldn't lie on my right side as pain shot through my face. It wasn't nice.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 03:50:07 PM »

Amitriptyline was prescribed but didn't help.  Fortunately it went as suddenly as it arrived.  There is surgical intervention which can help.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »

I was diagnosed with glosso-pharangeal neurlagia a couple of years ago after having two attacks lasting a couple of weeks of shooting cheek pain and each pain ended when I burped ::)  It presented just like trigeminal neuralgia but the burp was the clue that it was a different nerve.  I had the brain mri with constrast to check nothing nasty was causing it and with me it went away itself after those 2 attacks.

I have complete sympathy with anyone who suffers with trigeminal neuralgia having experienced mine and was so glad when it went away and dread it ever returning!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »

I can't burp to order  :-\

Peterspots

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »

Her did you find the gabapemtin. I'm going for an Mri tomorrow but i think I have atypical facial pain so it's more about ruling it out. If had it for 10 months & now have a burNing scalp since Monday. I keep hoping it will go on its own but it's not looking that way

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »

Take a list of queries with you  ;)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »

Just a thought, neck problems can cause face and head pain.  When I was diagnosed with glosso pharangeal neuralgia my GP and the neurologist were at loggerheads.  The neuro said my burping at end of shooting pain was sign my glosso-pharangeal nerve was irritated and I also had pain on tongue movement but because I also have severe damage to my cervical spine my GP was adamant that the pain was being caused by my neck problem.  Maybe they were both right as it could have been my neck affecting the nerve.

I do get bad temple and scalp pain and up side of face when my neck is annoyed plus temporal mandibular joint pain can also affect face and head as well.  so confusing!