Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: update from me joining forum recently  (Read 3310 times)

mandypepe

update from me joining forum recently
« on: October 10, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »

Hi, I joined the forum a few weeks ago after seeing a few doctors for lump and ache under and around left armpit  and then ddidn't get a period so wondered and unsure if menopausal. I had appointment with a doctor very knowledgeable in menopause (my request) and my results from  bone xray to rule out my fear of bone cancer has come back showing nothing and doctor says that could be hormonal. She asked me loads of questions and feels very certain that I am perimenopausal (unlike the last doctor who because I didn't have hot flushes said it's too early to say).  This doctor has said at the moment I have some options. Wait and see, blood test although not completely reliable, hrt or herbal route to see if or how I respond. I'm going for bloods on Monday as I've nothing to lose and then seeing her a week later to discuss results and next stage. On that same day I've also an appointment with a herbalist doctor. Walking out of that appointment the other day was the first time in ages I felt good about myself. There was at long last an explanation as to why I'm acting and feeling like I am, and it's explained the lack of interest in sex in that it's ok, I'm ok to be like I am and not feel a failure in my marriage and my job. I now have something to focus on, embrace and to be positive about. although i'm holding on tight as im expecting a bumpy ride!

Taz2

Re: update from me joining forum recently
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »

:foryou:

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »

The blood tests need to be specific but it sounds as though this GP has enough interest in your symptoms so should know which ones to request.  I would go with the blood tests  ;)

mandypepe

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »

Thanks everyone. She said ideally they should be done within 5 days of my cycle but as I don't know that now it's worth trying anyway. I think the main thing was that she didn't look at me with those eyes as though I'm making it all up. She treat it as a real thing and acknowledged everything I said. That was worth a lot.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »

Validation is everything !  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 04:49:25 PM »

It makes a HUGE difference!  Let us know how you get on.

Briony

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »

Thanks everyone. She said ideally they should be done within 5 days of my cycle but as I don't know that now it's worth trying anyway. I think the main thing was that she didn't look at me with those eyes as though I'm making it all up. She treat it as a real thing and acknowledged everything I said. That was worth a lot.

I just waited until a period eventually came and then booked a blood test. Glad I did as it showed how low my estrogen was getting, despite a normal FSH.

I sooooooo know what you mean about getting 'that look'.  It's wonderful to then be believed, isnt it? Though how sad that we have to say that! When my blood test result finally showed something to account for my weird symptoms, I cried tears of relief! 

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you have been to see someone who listens and is sympathetic!

It's more important though to go on symptoms rather than blood tests - especially as you have only just missed one period ( I presume you still haven't had one since late August?).

The lack of libido and waking up hot at night are classic symptoms - it's not necessary to have hot flushes as such to be peri-menopausal or to benefit from treatment!

I'm not sure what the herbalist route will do - most of the stuff that's around only "works" if you are peri-menopausal - in that the changes women think are due to the herbal product are usually ones that are happening anyway due to hormonal fluctuations. Many of us have used these methods to no avail and eventually turned to HRT to replace the hormone responsible for our symptoms! That being said it's good at this point to make sure your vits/minerals are sufficient by eating a really good balanced diet with lots of fresh food, fruit and veg, and generally making life-style changes that will see you in good stead as you enter this next phase of life ie re smoking, alcohol, body weight, exercise etc

Have you seen this article about the peri-menopause? :
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Let us know how you get on anyway!

Hurdity x

mandypepe

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »

Thankyou I will look at that. I've just got home and rushing back out - I'm on drinks duty at the WI. I just didn't want you thinking I had ignored your responses.