Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Duloxetine experience anyone?  (Read 15133 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Re: Duloxetine experience anyone?
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »

I didn't sleep very well last night to be honest. It just felt like I was starting taking the meds again even though I only missed 1 day.

Feel so dark, just don't know if it's the medication or me being depressed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »

Not sleeping well can cause the feeling of 'being hung over'  ::) or heavy headed.

Be kind to yourself!

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »

Oh how I'd love to be hungover! Haven't drunk since 20th August and can't see me ever drinking again.

CLKD

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »

Oh no, would never like to feel hungover  ;D  :-X …….. bad enough to wake feeling like it  ::)

Briony

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »

It sounds like you're v sensitive to it. I really would take it slowly. It's not like anything I've ever taken or would ever want to take again. Why not do half capsules? Do look at the link I sent. It helped me a lot xx

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »

Thanks - yes I am sensitive to meds.

I daren't look at the site though, it scares me that I'll be stuck on them for ever.  For today anyway, I have taken 62 beads, approx half I think, just to see how I get on.  If I still feel low next week, I can always taper back up can't I?

Did you touch the beads? It's hard to do it without as couldn't get them on a spoon!

Seeing my GP later, will see what he suggests.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »

Hmmm

My GP has suggested I continue with my medication for another 2 weeks, then if no improvement, he will increase the dose to double.

Not sure how I feel about that! So confused - the damn tablets fog my brain so I can't think straight for now.  The GP doesn't want me to be back to square 1.

Glad I only took half a tablet as I can feel it now. My LO is having her friend over today to play so didn't want to be out of it like yesterday whilst looking after them.

Briony

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »

After counting the beads, I then just guessed. It was fine!

If you do go up, do it slowly. Add in the new dose on alternative days and expect to feel sleepy (temporarily). For what it's worth, I found moving up, once it was in my system, no problem at all. x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »

Here is my background so far; for my benefit really!

Started off with health anxiety which was affecting my everyday life.

Took 25 mg sertraline for 8/10 days
Came of cold turkey - with a bit of diazepam
Two weeks after last dose, started feeling extremely depressed
Took 5 mg Citalopram for 6 days
Came off cold turkey after bad side effects - with diazepam
Three weeks after last dose, again started being extremely depressed
So started Duloxetine

I think I am where I am because I came off cold turkey and hadn't realised that even for a short period of time, the AD's where having some effect. So now I feel like I am dealing with depression and anxiety.

My GP wants me to continue with my meds to ensure I don't go back to square 1.

What a rubbish place to be in.

Briony

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »

I really feel for you.

Having taken a few ADs for various reasons (mainly pain control and PMT) the only advice I can give you is that it's very unusual to feel good right away and very unusual not to get initial side effects of some sort. As with hrt, I really think you need to stick with one and ride it out for at least 3 months. Otherwise, you'll never feel the benefits beyond side effects.I remember feeling hideous on all of the ones I've taken at one point or another, but within a month or so, I'd forgotten those feelings.  For me, Citaloprim was the easiest to take (after few weeks of side effects) and easiest to come off.  Duloxetine was the other end of the scale - but that's only my experience - and I took a much higher dose than you for much longer.

Dont be afraid of the link I sent you. There are lots of positive experiences and good advice on there too.

Are you allowed hrt patches with your syndrome? They have been shown to help depression at a dose when they are suppressing ovulation (100mcg +). Equally, have you tried alternative therapies like St Johns Wort (dont do this at same time as taking ADs without doctor's consent though). What about CBT? I think it can be helpful, though I am not sure how helpful it is for hormonally induced depression/anxiety.

Hang in there x

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »

In the 1980s/90s I had to stop several ADs due to nausea which I was unable to tolerate.  Prozac made me feel as though I had 7" heels  ::) and putting my feet down felt strange, I knew; after 3 days; that if I took any more tablets I would be unable to get out of bed.  Eventually my GP found a drug which helped and I took that for 7/8 years.

Not many need weaning off …….. I've only had 1 that required a gap of 5 days between medications.

The brain needs support like other organs, however, it's 'up there' and easily forgotten  ::).  I haven't had a cure because I feel hung over sometimes, my brain feels heavy occasionally, I get 'zaps' …… but I am no longer depressed and frightened.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 07:00:29 PM »

Thanks both for your replies.

I currently take Femoston 1/10 and am nearing the end of month 2.  Once I get to the end of the third month, may enquire about patches......however, I think i'd have to tell them what I wanted like last time.  I do think that i'll ask for a referal to a menopause clinic.

Just wish I wasn't fearful of everything all the time.

I will get there - but for now, as I'm in it, can't see past it.

Having physcotherapy through Bupa and could be having CBT through work.

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »

See how you are feeling at the end of the 3rd cycle?  Do you have a meno Clinic close by?

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »

Hello
Just a quick update, I am nearly 4 weeks in to Duloxetine.  As I mentioned before, I still am finding side effects are happening to me; fizzy head, hot sweats and confusion, etc.  Strangely they don't happen every day, just as and when which is a bit strange.

Next week I am seeing my GP and think I will resist any increase in doseage at this stage. Have also booked to see a gynaecologist next week for treatment and management of my menopause.

Sort of expected the side effects to have stopped by now. It's strange that I am taking hrt to stop the sweats and the AD's are causing them 😒

Briony

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »

I got the sweating  - I forgot that. I think it's quite common with this drug.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5