Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Medical Records Anyone?  (Read 4004 times)

Kathleen

Medical Records Anyone?
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »

Hello ladies.

I've often wondered if it would be a good idea to view my medical records as it may answer some questions I have. What do you think, good idea or no?

Many of us are trying to work out how our past use of medications influenced us and if we can safely take the same drugs again, we may even have reacted badly to something and now wish to avoid it. I thought of this again recently when I read the post by GypsyRoseLee when she wondered if the BCP that is on offer now is the same one she had a bad experience with as a young woman. I hope you don't mind me quoting this GRL but I wondered at the time how you would check to see if the tablets are the same ones and unless you have kept a written record somewhere maybe the only way to be sure would be to look at your medical records and see exactly what you were prescribed.

A peek at the records would work for other conditions as well. For example many of us have IBS and science is only now realising that the use of Antibiotics can deplete the gut microbiome and leave us with all sorts of digestive problems. If we could trace the onset of IBS to a period of Antibiotic use, even exactly which AB we used and for how long, this may confirm that the changed gut flora is the culprit and we can set about using diet and probiotics to redress the balance. I admit this microbiome business is a bit of an obsession with me as I believe my bowel issues began within a year of taking ABs but I was a teenager at the time and can't remember all the relevant details, a look at my records would answer many of the questions I have now.

I have done a quick search on line and the process of accessing the records seems straight forward so what do you think ladies, would it be a helpful thing to do or would it just feed our health anxiety? Has anyone actually done it and was it beneficial?

As ever I look forward to reading your comments. Best wishes and take care everyone.

K.

honeybun

Re: Medical Records Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »

Not sure I want to look back, as I've had some bleak periods in my life.

However, for the biggest part of my adult life I have avoided antibiotics. I think...fingers crossed...I have had four courses over the past 25 years. I don't beleive in them for anything other than a bad infection.

I wonder if you just get the bare facts or your doctors comments.  :o

Honeybun
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »

Judging by the large tatty folder they have on me, when I have a hospital appointment, I think mine would make boring reading! At the doctors surgery, everything seems to be on the computer, but not at the hospital.

While it might be interesting, I have got to a place where I accept things are as they are and work just get on with living, while accommodating health issues as best I can. 10 years ago I travelled for 6 months, camping a lot of the time ( we hadn't camped for years and have no intention to do so again! All camped out !) and had to cope with IBS (and OCD) tummy bugs, aftermath of ABs following cellulitis. I got on with it and have wonderful memories. Having health issues doesn't stop you finding joy in being alive.

I avoided ABs for many years and then refused them, consequently becoming very ill. Sometimes, doctors do know better!

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

I don't refuse ABs but I need to feel pretty grim before I even go to the GP .

I used to hate that big tatty folder as mine had a big red dot on....ie....lost a child. How subtle does it get and did they thing I wouldn't notice   ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »

You could make a list of queries and ask your GP if he/she can scan through your Records.  I think we have to pay £10.00 to see them: those before they went onto computer remain in hand-written folders as far as I know.

What would you achieve?  Knowing that you had a course of ABs which probably saved your Life at the time but has possibly caused on-going recent problems ………  :-\

How far back do you want to scan?

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »

Hello ladies and thanks for your comments.

The main reason I'd like to see my medical records would be to check the facts regarding medications and time frames. It is so easy to base a belief on particular circumstances only to find from the records that events actually occurred in a different order entirely!

I am also wary of taking antibiotics, in fact when I had a chest infection a few years ago and needed ABs I was able to apply all I've learned about how to reduce unwanted side effects and I didn't have any digestive problems at all. 

Ju Ju - Your comment about the large tatty folder made me smile. I think mine is large enough to be holding a door open somewhere, however I believe that anything that big must contain a lot of information and that's very reason I'd be interested to read it!

Once again thanks for your thoughts ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »

I don't think I would like to see mine, I can't see that there is anything to gain from knowing what my doctor really thought about my state of mind when I was suffering with depression and anxiety many years ago.  In fact I think it might do me more harm than good.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »

Not of any interest to me really. My hospital folder was very neat & small until just after our son was born. Now it would break someone's foot if dropped.  ;D

Pollie

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »

I handle and read a lot of hospital medical records - if you have moved areas they are likely to be incomplete, and even if you could read the handwriting you would need a translator to understand them ....  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »

;D …………

We had 'fat folders' for people with a big medical history  ::) ……. some needed a supermarket trolley to carry them!

Would you want to wade through Micro-fishe? which is what happened to records after 5 years in Hospitals.  Make a list and ask your GP is probably the best opener.

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »

My MIL used to write a diary for her own records.  It was probably a good idea.

Pollie

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »

I write on big family wall calendars .

I have every single year going back to 1993  the year my first was born ....

Is this OCD ?  ;D. Works for me !

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »

Not OCD but family history  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 04:37:21 PM »

Me! but I would always talk through with my GP first …….. then if he thought my request was appropriate I would go from there. 

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »

N(erotic)N(orwich)  ::) ……. I no longer care, that was then, I'm dealing with now …..
Pages: [1] 2