Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Night sweats...  (Read 2136 times)

mrspinkrat

Night sweats...
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »

Well, I thought I'd breezed through menopause without a care in the world!
My last 'official' period was 18 months ago.
Two weeks ago I had a very heavy bleed so being post meno was sent straight to hospital for a scan and biopsy. I am still waiting for the results but the consultant was happy that all is well and that my ovaries had enough life left in them for another period.
However!! Last night!! Oh my goodness!! I thought my hot water bottle had burst (I use it for joint/rib pain). I woke about 1am absolutely sodden! Sweat pouring off me and sheets soaked. The same thing happened again about 2 hours later despite having thrown out the bottle and tried to be half in and half out of our duvet. So now I'm panicking (I am a panicker...)
A quick search of night sweats brought up cancer. Would I have a random night sweat without any other meno symptoms? I've never had a hot flush in my life. Is it because I've recently had a 'period' and my hormones are all over the place? I'd be really grateful if anyone could put my mind at rest please 😕

Taz2

Re: Night sweats...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »

Hi mrspinkrat. I would think that this is hormonal. It could be that your periods stopped before for a different reason than menopause - this can happen - and now you are entering menopause proper. My first symptom were night sweats just as you describe. It was around a year after the night sweats started before I began to have daytime flushes/sweats and other meno symptoms.

Taz x  :hug:

Pollie

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »

It is thought that the flushes and sweats are due to the 'fluctuations' in oestrogen levels rather than low levels per se .

This would fit with your heavy bleed - your hormones are possibly jumping around a bit now whereas in the past they may just have been gently declining .....

So don't panic  :) :) but don't expect this to be a random sweat there may well be others around the corner

HTH

Pollie

mrspinkrat

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »

Thank you ladies! I'm reassured! I wondered myself if my periods could've stopped for another reason... But the GP tested FSH 3 times and then did another test - not sure what - which was apparently conclusive.
I'm hypothyroid and have been taking 75mcg levo for 2 years... Periods stopped 18 months ago so a bit of a coincidence but hyper is more associated with lack of periods than hypo I think. It's all a mystery!! 😛😛

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 07:03:35 PM »

FSH tests are not conclusive - as Dr Currie says on here re FSH:

A normal level does not exclude early menopausal transition and a raised level does not exclude continuing ovarian function. One raised level should therefore not be relied upon as a reason to stop using contraception since egg release can still occur late in the menopausal transition.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

Also FSH can go into the post-menopausal range before you are post-menopausal.

The interaction between thyroid hormones and reproductive hormones I gather can also play havoc with your system and there is some symptom overlap so this could also be part of the explanation why you experienced the sweats so suddenly.

You didn't say how old you are either?

Do not fret at this point - you would be likely to have other symptoms if you had cancer - but it's natural to feel worried when you first experience these sweats.

Hurdity x