Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Venlafaxine plan backfired  (Read 4132 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Venlafaxine plan backfired
« on: October 09, 2015, 04:34:24 PM »

Hello

As a few of you may know I have been struggling to accept the fact I need AD's and finding one to suit me.

I was wary of the Mirtazapine so decided to go to my GP and request Venlafaxine as had tried it 12 years ago with good results. Unfortunately my GP wouldn't prescribe it to me and gave me a prescription for Duloxetine instead!

So now after nearly 3 weeks off my last AD's and a week off Diazepam, to say I am exhausted is an understatement.

My main symptoms now are constant rumination about how to get well, nervousness and low mood.  Not sure if I should keep AD free for another few weeks or take the plunge with one of my many AD's that I have.

For those of you who've tried more than 1 AD, it's exhausting isn't it? Did you stick them for a month, taper down and try something else or did you always give yourself a break in between?

Taz2

Re: Venlafaxine plan backfired
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »

Hi Mix71Mum - just wanted to say that Duloxetine and Venlafaxine are both SNRI's. Venlafaxine has been around for longer and it could be that your doc has looked carefully at the difference between the two and decided that Duloxetine suits the type of depression you have at the moment. You can read about the differences between them here http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/effexor-vs-cymbalta.shtml

Hope it helps you to have more info and that you feel better soon.

Taz x

dazned

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »

I had to try loads before I found one to suit. Knew with most of them straight away they didn't suit,at the time I was in such a bad way with anxiety,palps,etc I couldn't wait in between just tried one after other. Sorted now,hope you will be soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:01:28 PM »

I was so depressed I could hardly move.  Began in 1989.  Cyclic.  I had to try several types and new  :-\ knew!  :-\ instantly if they were going to make me feel nauseous.  Then we hit on 1 which I took for 8 years ………… by which time others had been manufactured and approved.  Since 2002 I have had 2 different kinds, one didn't quite suit in that the depression broke through the other has been good.  I also take a Betablocka every night, targeted at the anxiety and have an emergency med if the anxiety floors me.

Did you change up the prescription? 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:22:30 PM by CLKD »

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:33:28 AM »

Hi - thanks for the replies and info.

Yes I have collected and changed up my meds. Got quite a collection now.

Dazned, I know you've tried a few, did you give each type a month, then move onto the next then?

Think that's where I'm going wrong, I think leaving the gap in between is affecting my mood and making it dip.

Anyway as I have family around me today, think I'll take the plunge - wish me luck!

dazned

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »

No I didn't give them a month I knew within a couple of days they weren't going to be the one ,the last one didn't make me feel "ill" like the others just very tired for 10 days SO persevered with the help of a member on here through pm and she supported me through the first couple of weeks now it works for me. I know how difficult it is but unfortunately if you don't try you won't know. As said before we are all different and if the last one didn't work I guess I would have had to keep trying others as I couldn't have continued to feel like I did. Good luck.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »

Dazned - you must have been exhausted trying loads of AD's. But glad you got there in the end.

Had to take a Diazepam this morning as struggling to calm myself down. Tying myself in knots is exhausting. What's wearing me out is not taking an AD if that makes sense...as I'm sure my mind would be calmer if I'd started on a new regime by now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »

Lots of people change up prescriptions but don't intend to take them  :-\ (see my thread). 

We seem to have several similar threads  :-\ - I can't keep up  :D

Briony

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »

Have replied to your other post re Duloxetine/Cymbalta but thought it would make sense to  cut and paste here too. Only thing I would add to what I say below is that the side effect of tiredness was bad for a few weeks, but then faded. When I went from 20mg to 30mg, I noticed no new side effects, perhaps because I took 20/30mg alternatively for the first few weeks. Ditto 30 to 60mg.

I was prescribed Duloxetine for neurological pain, except my GP made a mistake and started me on 90mg. I ended up in casualty!  :o

Once I was put to the right dose (for me it was 30mg, then up to 60mg, I was fine while I took it. I stopped when I realised the cause of the pain was hormonal. What I must add that withdrawing from these is sometimes less easy. Please, please research it before coming off them if/when you do (Google 'Cymbalta withdrawal'). It's notoriously hard to wean off them, especially as 20mg is the lowest dose and you cant split them easily (I ended up counting the beads, as recommended by many others!).

Good luck x