Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding whilst on HRT  (Read 3487 times)

sidse

Bleeding whilst on HRT
« on: October 10, 2015, 08:57:29 AM »

Hi,
I have been on Femseven patches for two months now ( having had no period for over a year) and I have started to bleed - also have very tender breasts. Is this normal?

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding whilst on HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 09:13:56 AM »

Hi sidse - Are you on Femseven sequi or conti? If you are on the sequi version you are supposed to get a bleed each month at the beginning of the patches that contain only oestrogen after you have finished the combined patches that have oestrogen plus progesterone.  If you are on the conti version then some bleeding and spotting in the first 3-6 months is quite normal while your body adjusts to the hormones.  The idea of the bleed to ensure your womb lining stays thin and with the conti version the continuous progesterone usually keeps it constantly thin but this takes time to settle - hence the slight bleed or spotting for a few weeks or even months to start with.  The sequi version is for women who are either peri or only recently into post meno (like you) so maintaining a monthly bleed pattern is preferable.   Tender breasts for a few months is also normal - my gynae described this as "the hormones waking everything up again" and this should settle in time.
Hope that helps - the leaflet with the patches should explain this really!!!  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »

Hi sidse

Just to add that if you are on sequi HRT, then you also may not get a bleed at first, as this happens with some women - it may be that your body has been without oestrogen for so long that it takes a while to build up enough lining to shed. You may get a bleed after a few months but on the other hand may not.

Of the tablet HRT for peri-menopause it says this: ""All the above cause a monthly bleed in 85% of patients".

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Hurdity x

sidse

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »

I am using the conti version and the bleed has been like a light period. I am hoping that this may be a one off while things are settling down.All of my meno symptoms - night sweats, insomnia and low mood have gone, so I am a happy bunny.
Sidse

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:47:55 AM »

Hi sidse

You did say back in June that you had a period in Feb and then when the previous September. If that is the case then you were not completely post-menopausal when you started HRT. This means that it could very well be a period and this would explain the tender breasts. Femoston conti is not strong enough to suppress (what remains of) your cycle so this is the most likely explanation.

So glad you are feeling better generally. :)

Hurdity x