Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New member, I suffer with hot sweats any help would be grateful :-)  (Read 5804 times)

Fiona1967

I am new to menopause matters found a magazine and found it really useful, so I have signed up, I don't as yet want to go down the HRT road, but I've got all of the problems of menopause and want advice on what is available to me. Many thanks in advance.

Dancinggirl

Re: New member, I suffer with hot sweats any help would be grateful :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Fiona1967
Do read up all the info on this site and get really clued up. Most of the ladies on here have the more extreme meno symptoms (this is about 60% of women) so need to use HRT. HRT is a personal choice but is worth trying if you really need relief - don't be frightened off by past scares.
Do tell us more about yourself - age etc?
DG x

Jaki T

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:39:20 PM »

Hi Fiona

I am new here too and have awful sweats (they they are not hot ones).  I don't want to go down the HRT road either because of very bad experiences with the pill in the past and high blood pressure, even though I appreciate that HRT doses are much lower. 

I am trying to look into red clover and black cohosh which I've not tried yet.  I have tried sage but not found that very effective.

My best wishes to you  :)

Fiona1967

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »

I am new to menopause matters found a magazine and found it really useful, so I have signed up, I don't as yet want to go down the HRT road, but I've got all of the problems of menopause and want advice on what is available to me. Many thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome to MM Fiona1967
Do read up all the info on this site and get really clued up. Most of the ladies on here have the more extreme meno symptoms (this is about 60% of women) so need to use HRT. HRT is a personal choice but is worth trying if you really need relief - don't be frightened off by past scares.
Do tell us more about yourself - age etc?
DG x
hi all I'm 48 and have been pre menopausal since I was 46 I work full time and have a supportive family thank goodness I'd say! The mood swings are not to bad, but always have a feeling of dread wash over me and panic, my memory has gone to post, and if not for my diary I don't know where I would be! I am sitting a diploma at the moment and it's been so very hard due to the memory situation lol my whole body aches with pains, and I feel I'm falling apart! On an upbeat note I'm glad I have joined this group. :-)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:07:34 PM by Fiona1967 »

Fiona1967

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »

Hi Fiona

I am new here too and have awful sweats (they they are not hot ones).  I don't want to go down the HRT road either because of very bad experiences with the pill in the past and high blood pressure, even though I appreciate that HRT doses are much lower. 

I am trying to look into red clover and black cohosh which I've not tried yet.  I have tried sage but not found that very effective.

My best wishes to you  :)
  Hiya hope your keeping well? I am the same i have heard such mixed reports on HRT and don't fancy going down that route at all my GP recommend Agnus cactus, I have yet to try these, I've lost track of how many sweats I get a day, it can become quite embarrassing at times!  I've tried black cohosh but had to stop taking them after 3 days due to them giving a bad stomach ache. Hope you find something to bring relief. :-)

Jaki T

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »

Thanks Fiona. That is useful to know re Black Cohosh. I've not tried it yet and neither have I tried the red clover but may give that a try next :)

I totally understand about the sweats.  I get several a day and have to carry a change of clothes around with me as well as having loo roll and flannels stuffed up me!   :o

It's all trial and error, I suppose. Good luck and hope you too find something that gives you relief  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »

Hi Fiona1967

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough. I was exactly like you - wanted to do everything naturally and was never going to take HRT. I also took Black Cohosh for several months but didn't want to take it long term. I thought it worked but of course as with many of these products it was my own cycle kicking in and the temporary rise in oestrogen that made the sweats stop and make me think it was working! I managed perfectly well ( flushing and sweating and flinging clothes on and off) for maybe 18 months as periods came and went and then eventually the flushes and sweats came to stay and I couldn't cope with the lack of sleep as well as having to work full time, so I went onto HRT - mostly only ever used bio-identical hormones ie oestradiol and progesterone and nil-by-mouth - as the safest and most natural way to get it into your system. Has alwasy worked for me  :). Don't read all the scare stories - the medical profession say that the benefits exceed the risks if you are under 50, or if between 50 and 60 and still having symptoms. All the scare stuff was based on a study using horse oestrogens and synthetic progestogens which has now been re-evaluated.

Hurdity x

HelenS

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »

Hi Fiona1967
I too am new to the site and have found loads of helpful info. Like you I don't want to go down the HRT route, but only as a very last resort!
I completely understand feelings of 'dread and panic' and memory loss, I too get this which is completely new to me.
I've heard some bad press about Black Cohosh, but I'm trying A Vogel menosan soy isoflavins and also changing my diet. I find sage drops help for my sweats (which are worse at night than through the day) I did try Angus Castus but that had no effect at all.
Natural remedies are like everything else, even HRT, it works for some and not others. My sister had HRT and was fine, but had to try a load of different ones till she got the right one for her. All trial and error I'm afraid, which is what I'm very rapidly discovering, but hey we are all in it for the long haul, but this site will help us all get through it together and out the other side.

Halebop

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »

Hello there from another newbie at a similar stage as you and having the same issues.  I have tried and had success with natural remedies but unfortunately only for a period of months each time and then they stopped working and even after changing to something else and then trying what previously worked, after a break as it were, they still didn't work for me again, like my body had become immune to them or something.  I have posted about that on here to see if its the same for anyone else so watch this space on that....  The things that did work for me were menopace, black cohosh and 2000 mg daily of starflower oil, all taken separately once the previous thing stopped working.  These stopped the flushes and night sweats completely within a week.  It was marvellous to feel normal again.  Red clover and mexican yam hasn't worked nor soy but I think everyone is different so its just trial and error with all of these things.  I am getting to the end of my tether with it all now, the constant search for the next thing... the spending money on things that don't work and the sweats!  I have talked to a lot of people on HRT, also my Dr and done my own research all over the net and I'm now coming round to the idea that actually HRT isn't a bad thing at all.  It had bad press due but more recent findings are that far from making you higher risk for breast cancer, stroke and heart problems actually the opposite is true.  I don't know if I am allowed to post links here but I will try a link to a great article I have found which is based around and with a link to The Danish Report.  If the link doesn't work then try googling the Danish Report.  The findings are all there.  http://truttmd.com/is-the-reporting-of-hrt-studies-a-war-on-women/

I think its a process.  We want to do it naturally and try to the best of our abilities to push on through but there's a tipping point where you have to weigh it all up and take into account quality of life.  I'm due another visit to my Dr following blood testing for thyroid to be sure this is all menopause but I am seriously considering the HRT now.

In the meantime, my latest natural remedy is Apple Cider Vinegar.  It has to be the unfiltered type with "the mother" which you can find on amazon or in health food shops.  I take 2 tablespoons in a glass of water or coconut water with 1/4 tsp of bicarbonate soda to take the vinegary taste away.  If using water I also add a few drops of stevia liquid sweetener.  I have 2 drinks, one in the morning, one in the evening.  It immediately reduced the intensity and frequency of flushes by around 50% and after some weeks its even more so, the last few nights I have slept the whole night without kicking off the covers.  My sweats are more like a little rush of heat and not the sweat pouring down my face and body as previously.  Its amazing stuff and it also does a lot of other good things for you too.  I know it sounds mad but look it up at Earth Clinic, thats where I found it on another forum.  Its a great site for the natural remedies.

Good luck to you with it all and to all of us for that matter! :)

Jaki T

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »

I can only go by my own experience of taking the pill years ago and I got raised blood pressure so that I had to go to a hypertensive clinic at a very young age and felt as if, had I stayed on it, I would have had a blood clot. It was that bad.

I have found that, coincidentally, when I'm taking other medications such as painkillers for something else, the sweats aren't as bad!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »

My Mum buys 'ordinary' Apple Cider Vinegar, mixes with tap water and drinks - 2-3 times a day.  It is used for pet care too.  No need to buy anything 'out of the ordinary'  ;) …….. apple cider vinegar is what it is, a mix of cider/vinegar.

Sometimes ladies find that some herbals help initially but their own hormones over-ride any benefits  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »

Hi Halebop

I've welcomed you on your other thread but just to say thanks for posting that link - that's great easy to read article giving an easy to follow summary of information about the stats regarding risks of HRT and the various trials

"I think its a process.  We want to do it naturally and try to the best of our abilities to push on through but there's a tipping point where you have to weigh it all up and take into account quality of life.  I'm due another visit to my Dr following blood testing for thyroid to be sure this is all menopause but I am seriously considering the HRT now. "

I'm with you on this one! I was a do-it-naturally gal! Bio-identical HRT not taken by mouth, such as I am using (and others on here) is the most natural and safest way to replace these hormones if you are in it for the long term.

Also I agree about the thyroid - seems to be overlooked and not very well treated in many women with TSH readings below the treatable level but who are not functioning well (ie have fatigue, muscle aches, weight gain etc).

Hurdity x   :)

Halebop

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »

Hello again Hurdity :)

Yes I found that article great, especially last thing last night when my eyes were starting to swim with all the facts and info I was reading here, there and everywhere.  I'm still a bit scared of HRT but coming around to the idea.  Bio-identicals would be my preferred route also.  My Dr mentioned patches last visit so maybe thats a good place to start.. 

Halebop x

Fiona1967

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 11:20:22 PM »

Hiya all it's been a while since I have visited the group, I have had enough!!! I booked an appointment with our gyni doctor, of which I put off for 3 weeks! today was the day! I've layed it all on the line ! Tears n all! And here I am about to start Evorel HRT patches! I was really surprised to find that I have been preserving and doing it for myself for 3 years!! My doctor was quite surprised but credit where credits due have coped until this point, so guys I am giving it a go! What have I got to loose, I feel awful 24/7 and I can only feel better! X I need to let it get into my system and I will report back in a couple of weeks , wish me luck! Xxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »

Hi Fiona1967 - As you say, you've got nothing to loose and everything to gain. You may get a few side effects as your body adjusts and welcomes the hormones.  Do keep us posted - we are here to support.  DG x
Pages: [1] 2