Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Antidepressant withdrawal  (Read 3949 times)

orchid

Antidepressant withdrawal
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »

Hi everyone...what a week I've had with this new antidepressant Mirtrazepine. Basically I've had to wean myself off it due to awful side effects, abdo pain and extreme anxiety. I know antidepressants affect different people in different ways, benefits and side effects, but I've been ill this weekend trying to taper the dose and try to keep level headed. Anyone else had similar problems?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Antidepressant withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »

I did it with my GP's support.  Gradually reduced the dose of what I was taking …… it took 9 weeks.  I did realise that any 'side effects' which were similar to my initial worries, were less as the week went on.

This too will pass!

bramble

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »

How long were you taking it for Orchid?
Bramble

orchid

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:40:14 AM »

Hi Bramble...about 7 weeks in total, last four weeks, 2 on 15mg then 2 on 30. I have tapered to 7.5 since last Thursday, a bit quick I know. Had a wobble yesterday, had to take some diazepam, so thought right that's it! Took none last night and so far feel ok! I'm seeing a homeopath today who is an ex gp and im thinking of trying 5 HTP a herbal remedy for depression. I'm gona see how I go first though as its 15 years now since peri started and I started AD's. I'm now 56 and through meno, so hopefully my mood will now be steady...lets hope.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »

hi orchid - were you on 45mg to start off with then? Did you not find it effective as an AD then? All I can say is that I had withdrawal symptoms are coming off sertraline after 8/10 days so know how you feel. I would be really interested to know how you get along with 5 HTP.

Good luck

orchid

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »

No didn't do 45. Nearly did though as I felt so bad and thought they weren't working, when in actual fact it was the meds that were making me feel worse, more anxious and panicky!

orchid

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »

Forgot to add...no didn't work as an AD for me, but as you know everyone's body chemistry is different and I wouldn't like anyone who is on them to have any detrimental negativity about their effect. I'm super sensitive to everything I can't take SSRI's and the trycyclic AD Dothiepin exacerbated my palps. From reading blogs on the internet about Mirtazepine there are very mixed experiences and for some they have worked really well.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »

Same with any medication Orchid - what suits one patient may well upset another.  Or have the opposite effect to what they are designed for.  How are you this morning?

If you can tolerate any 'alterations' of feelings by not taking any more then try to rest, keep hydrated, exercise if you can …… I felt awful at times until realised that the drop off effect lasted 48 hours I coped better.

orchid

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »

Thanks CLKD! Not to bad today, a bit anxious cause I'm going to see the homeopath later. I'm doing the accept, no dwelling, staying in the mo with mindfulness slow breathing. I've found ELT on You Tube, tapping for anxiety...it's really helpful. Worse thing for me at the minute is appetite as my tummy is in knots, but snacking on nuts, bananas olives. Making sure to get my supplements down me too. I take multi with minerals, vit D, magnesium/calcium Omega oils and H&B Busy B complex. I'm rattling! Brisk walk this afternoon too, I find this is the best stress buster. Moving house in two weeks...need I say more! 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »

AAAHHHH - moving house  ::).  I would love to move but the thought of packing up and then finding out anxiety is worse ………

Tapping can help.  Supposed to refocus the mind?  Will you need to pay for any homeopathy?

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »

Hi Orchid - how did you get along with the homeopath today? Hope you are less anxious now you have stopped the meds.

I have all of those supplements too, busy b and c, epa fish oils, magnesium and vit d.  Stopped taking them all whilst giving me AD's a chance to work but may restart them now I've stopped them.

Saw a lovely handsome pharmacist earlier and explained I'd stopped AD's two weeks ago and had used the occasional diazepam since, and could he recommend anything herbal for calmness.  He suggested the Rescue Remedy pastilles and Kalms.  He also congratulated me on being so positive!
Bless him.

orchid

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »

Homeopath went well, I was in over two hours cost £120, she gave me Nat Mur to take, says my symptoms are like I'm experiencing grief and of course depression which is the main problem. I feel physically and emotionally drained as we raked through a lot of stuff. I have a headache and didn't have much appetite for din. I'm probably feeling the withdrawal still, feel low. She says I should feel better in two days and see her again in 3 weeks. Thank you for your interest ladies! I will keep you posted.
CLKD..what were your withdrawal symptoms, did you feel like you had jelly legs and tiredness?

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »

The first thing I noticed was nausea.  Which increased the anxiety - in case it didn't go completely.  Electric head zaps.  Queasyness.  Jelly thighs  ::) - with each lesser dose. But those went after 48 hours ……. and I was reducing every 5th day. GPs have access to lesser doses than usually prescribed  ;)

orchid

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »

Thanks CLKD you have put my mind at rest  :) x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »

Always pleased to help  ;)