Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT newbie waving hello  (Read 5320 times)

Charski

HRT newbie waving hello
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

Hi all

I'm just about to start bio HRT after a recent diagnosis of early menopause (I hate that word!). I'm 41 and have been in peri menopause since my early thirties. Bit of a shock but all making sense in retrospect. 

I asked for bioidentical HRT and have been prescribed estraderm mx 50 with utrogestan tablets. Ironically I had my first period in nearly a year a couple of weeks ago. Read the estraderm leaflet which says if you're still having periods you should start the patches within 5 days of starting your period irrespective of length of bleed (mine was only about 4 days).

Should I wait another fortnight to see if I get another period, or start the patches now? I may not have a bleed for another year!

Yours in a menopausal brain fog
Charski

Taz2

Re: HRT newbie waving hello
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 09:56:29 PM »

Hi Charski - welcome to the forum  :)

I think that the advice to start the patches within five days of starting your period is aimed at women who are "menstruating regularly". Personally I would start the patches now as your previous period was almost a year ago.

You will find lots of help and advice on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »

I agree.  Why wait?  Your next period might not appear for weeks and weeks and ………  ;)

:welcomemm:  browse round!

Charski

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »

Thanks so much Taz and CLKD for replying. I'll do as you suggest and take the plunge. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be making a difference.

This is a great site and I'm looking forward to being part of the forum. Thanks again.  :-*

Libbygrace

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

Hi Ladies, I'm 54 , peri menopausal had a period July 2014, then overnight had hot sweats could not sleep fog brain the list goes on, after 3 months without a period was prescribed prempak-C, had a monthly bleed , it did control symptoms but came off  HRT after 5months due to side effects.
Was off HRT for 3 months and the symptoms returned, I did read once you reach the age of 54 you could go on combined HRT , was prescribed Evorel conti , I have been on it 7 weeks and had 4 lots of breakthrough bleeding like a heavy period, cramps & pain . After reading an article posted by Heather Currie it reassured me that it looks as though my ovaries may still producing hormones and may cause stimulation of the womb lining and bleeding is more common. Although I feel very good on this HRT, I do not want a bleed every 10 days, any suggestions ? Thank you  :)

dazned

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:02:15 PM »

Yes at 54 conti is considered OK. First few months on conti regime you can get break through bleeding but persevere it should settle down for you ,early days yet  :D

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »

Hi Libbygrace - I know that at 54 conti is considered ok but as you are still having natural periods I wonder whether a sequi HRT would suit you better. I started HRT at 53 and because I was having a period every four months I was put onto sequi HRT. This regulated my cycle and my "periods" became much lighter (after the initial three months which were heavier and more painful) and lasted for only three to four days. I tried conti HRT at age 56 but this gave me constant bleeding for six months so I reverted to sequi HRT. I have now had a hysterectomy so only need oestrogen but, for me, sequi HRT was preferable while I still had a uterus because I knew when to expect a bleed. There are others on here who also use sequi HRT - even into their 60's.

Why not introduce yourself under New Members if you haven't already. More members will see your post and want to welcome you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Libbygrace

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »

Thank you Taz2, that's reassuring to know, I'm seeing my Gp this week to discuss going back on the sequi patch and will try that. :)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »

Let us know how you get on!

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:05:20 PM »

Hi Charski & Libbygrace  :welcomemm: from me too!

Libbygrace - I started HRT two months before my 54th birthday but as I had had a natural period 5 months previously I was put onto cyclical HRT and I am one of those Taz mentioned who are still on a cycle in their 60's! I'm glad I wasn't put onto conti HRT straight away and I would recommend anyone starting HRT to do the same. As well as the reason given by Taz about constant bleeding on conti HRT for some women - it also enables you to work out if you are OK on the oestrogen only part as well as when you go onto the combi patches or pills (some women don't get on with the progestogens in some HRT types). Then you can experiment with different types of HRT if necessary before going onto conti HRT - when you settle on a particular type.

Hurdity x