Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Honest account of Mirtazapine please  (Read 7713 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Honest account of Mirtazapine please
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »

Hello All
I promised to stay away for a while but I need some advice.

For 2 weeks I have been AD free, just had the occasional diazepam.  My GP has prescribed me another 14 diazepam but I don't to get into the habit of over using them.

I know that I need an AD long term and am considering my next options.  However these are my fears;

Mirtazapine has been prescribed to me - but am afraid to take anything overnight as frightened over waking up desperate and on my own.
Mirtazapine has weight gain as a side effect - weight is a sensitive subject for me. I'm only 5‘3‘ and weigh 9 stoneand any extra weight would be upsettting.
Any medication that I take will make me groggy as I suffer badly, but how long does the grogginess last for.....I need to be able to do the school run.

Wondering whether to take Mirt at all and instead ask for Venlafaxine which I took 12 years ago, did have side effects but eventually got through them.

I appreciate we are all different but would value some input and experiences before I make my mind up.  The last thing I need to do is to start another AD without being prepared to stick with it for at least 4 weeks.

Thank You

bramble

Re: Honest account of Mirtazapine please
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »

A long time ago, when I suffered really badly from anxiety, I was given mirtazapine. I did put on weight but at that time was grossly underweight due to the anxiety and only put on weight because I then started eating more, as I should have. It did not go on suddenly but over a matter of time ie normally. Once I got to my fighting weight I did not put on any more. Apart from that, I had no side effects at all. It is supposed to better in that respect than other ADs ie very few side effects. It does make you sleepy which is why it is recommended to take it before bedtime. And it did help my anxiety along with a beta blocker.
Bramble

dazned

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:06:43 PM »

Hi ,I started mirtazapine earlier this year for awful insomnia and anxiety,panic attacks,I haven't put on any more weight and haven't eaten anymore than before starting it.
The first couple of days I found it difficult to stay awake but the anxiety stopped almost immediately and as I had felt so terrible with it all I was just relieved to get some respite from it all ! Days 3/4 still sleepy but it was lessening and each day the tiredness diminished. After 2 weeks was able to function on all cylinders. Hope this helps .

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »

When I was in the throes of menopause madness about 4 years ago and could not sleep my GP gave me this drug to try.
For first 2 days I slept wonderfully but then this efect wore off.
I have to say I do tend to react badly to drugs so bear this in mind.
I then got crippling heartburn 24/7 even though I already take medication for this and in 2 weeks I gained 7lbs in weight.  I also got awful twitching legs in bed at night so after 2 weeks I had to stop taking them because of the side effects BUT I know a couple of people who have taken them for years and they had minor side effects that improved after about 3 weeks.
You should feel quite doped up for a few days when you first start them and I actually found it rather a nice feeling ;D and was sad when it wore off.  Def worth giving them a try as you will never know if they could have helped if you don't.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »

Hi - thanks for the replies.

Did anyone have any vivid dreams at all?  I've read that that could be a side effect too.

Thanks

dazned

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »

I didn't but everyone's different. Please try not to focus on the side effects toooo much ,easier said than done I know ;)

If you read the possible side effects of any medication,hrt included,we wouldn't take anything would we ! If you start off with anything thinking the worse I find that's sometimes what we get,the mind's a powerful tool  ;)
Hope you get settled soon.

bramble

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »

I always get vivid dreams so I don't know if they were any different when I was taking the tablets or not.

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »

? stop reading the leaflet ?  :-\

I have very busy, involved, long dreams ……… have done for years and it could be related to my AD.  I haven't been prescribed this particular drug but can understand your reluctance, for years I didn't want to take any form of AD until I found out what caused the depression.  But the Medical Profession aren't interested in finding out  >:(

Why worry about putting on weight at this stage?  You probably won't!  I certainly have NEVER put on weight and I've had various drug intervention since 1988  ;).  I am 5ft 1 and a half inches and weight around 8-8st 2lb. 

Go for it Girl, go for it  ;)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 01:05:39 PM »

Thanks for your support all.

You know this menopause lark has made me a sensitive soul, and I just don‘t like it.

I have noticed that I am getting some energy back and that is definitely down to the hrt.  Started on my 2nd pack this week and it's good to feel a glimmer of my old self coming back at last.

Will weigh up my options I think over the next few days.  Got to think about getting back to work at some point.  I really miss my workmates and even work!

Thanks for listening xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »

How about wandering in for a cuppa with your workmates, to keep an ear on what's happening?  Life in the work place moves at a different rate  ::) so you don't want to return and feel on the edge of what has happened!  It keeps you in their focus too.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »

Yes that might be a good idea at some point. It would also relieve the pressure on going from being at home to being at work full time in one go.

I've been reading about the Bach's Rescue Remedy - does anyone know whether that is safe to use whilst I have diazepam in my system. Took a 2 mg yesterday but am thinking of making it my last. Wondered if it would be okay to swap the Diazepam for RR, I just know that Diazepam has a long half life.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »

Yep.  I have used it along-side many medications. Still here ….. I have the mouth spray, I believe that there are pastilles too.

2mg is nothing in the big scale of things ……… I was taking 10mg x 3 for a while. 

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »

Oh that's okay then.  I had noticed that there was some alcohol in it and just wondered if it interacted with the Diazepam at all.

So may give the RR a go tomorrow, I've also been eating pumpkin seeds galore as they are supposed to be rich in.magnesium too.

I just re-read Brambles post, does that mean that there will eventually be an end to all this anxiety naturally.....it's enough to bring tears to my eyes :'(

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »

You R looking too far ahead  ;)

I think the alcohol is the suspension - not that I've ever read the ingredients  ::).  Like I rarely read the leaflets that come with each box of medication.

I found that using 2 squirts of RR before an event or if I began to get a flutter of anxiety eased my worrying.