Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dry eyes - advice appreciated  (Read 5608 times)

karic66

Dry eyes - advice appreciated
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »

Hi all, I've just found this site and am hoping I can use it to help me through my experience. I have recently been told that my extremely red, sore eyes are a symptom of menopause, and have been given lubricants to help. They are making a small amount of difference but not enough. Does anyone here have any experience or advice to offer. I can't keep putting drops in every hour or more - I have a job that means this is becoming tricky! Look forward to hearing from anyone with similar troubles! Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dry eyes - advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »

:welcomemm:  sore, itchy, scratchy - like there's grit behind them  >:(  ::)

As well as intermittent aches and pains; vaginal atrophy; itchiness all over - all due to a drop in oestrogen.

Use the eye drops as required.  Being at work shouldn't make a difference to looking after your health  ;)

Have a browse round!

karic66

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »

Thanks I'm enjoying browsing here - very interesting!
No other symptoms so far :)apart from flushes which I'm coping with but my eyes look terrible.... Badly hungover sort of look isn't good :(
 It sounds as if the drops will be a permanent thing.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:22:54 PM by karic66 »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »

What's with the mobile sign against your name  :-\  ::)

Tell us more about yourself: age, LMP, work, pets …….

BrightLight

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:57 PM »

Hi Karic66
I have had this on and off, today I am feeling the grit. Horrid.  As well as saline drops you could try increasing intake of Omega Essential Fatty Acids (with supplements or eating fish like mackerel, tuna, or wild salmon or nuts and seeds) and Vitamin E (helps Omega's do there job).  Even adding more olive oil to things or taking a spoonful neat will increase your intake.  Hope this helps somewhat as it's a horrible irritating symptom.

karic66

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

Mobile? No idea! I'm 49, in a relationship,
got 2 boys 23 & 25 (today) and I'm the proud
owner of a silly spaniel called Barney!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:33:55 PM by karic66 »

karic66

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »

Thanks! I've increased oils etc
No change so far  :'( You are right, it is an unpleasant
symptom and very visible  :(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »

'silly' spaniel  ;D - been there, done that!

Didn't do the children though - is there a party later ?  :party:

BrightLight

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »

Thanks! I've increased oils etc
No change so far  :'( You are right, it is an unpleasant
symptom and very visible  :(

Thinking a bit laterally, could it be that you also have developed an allergy to something.  My skin has become more sensative and dry along with sneezing more and sometimes this co-incides with the dry eyes, no idea what it might be in my case. 

marras

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:04:21 PM »

Hi there, I suffer with dry eyes. I was a long term contact lens wearer and once I hit the menopause dry eyes became a real problem almost to the extent that I couldn't wear my lenses any more. I was fortunate enough to have surgery on my eyes a year ago, a refractive lens exchange, which means I no longer need contact lenses or glasses. However, I still have dry eyes and my surgeon recommended HycoSan Extra which you can get from Boots. It is for the more severe cases of dry eye. I also take Omega 7, also known as Buckthorn Oil, as advertised in the Menopause Matters magazine. This has made a big improvement (I have been taking it for about five weeks now) and I only need the drops a couple of times a day and last thing at night. Both are quite expensive although I understand you may be able to get the HycoSan on prescription. Worth a try. ;)

Briony

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 05:20:37 PM »

I had this symptom this summer which was found during a routine contact lens check. He said it was due to blocked tear ducts, more common in ladies our sort of age. I now have to warm my eyelids up with a flannel and then massage them every night (seriously!) in order for the oils to melt and free the shaft. Optician said drops will help the symptoms, but dont treat the cause. Must admit, I'm a bit lazy with it - do it for a while, then forget. I guess, when it gets worse, I will have no choice!

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »

Hi Karic - Like Marras I am a long term contact lens wearer.  Last year I got a red lump on an upper eyelid, I was told it was meibomian gland cyst and to apply hot pads and massage it 3 times a day. This I did, eventually it came to a head and burst with the recommended massage, not nice   :-\

Long story short it did heal and I'm now back to 11 hours lens wear a day but I do need to;
  • Apply a warm eye pad (40C at least 5 days a week
  • Use Actimist (or similar) on eyes during the day to stop the ducts blocking again

Like Briony says, it's blocked tear ducts, the oils need to melt then be massged to shift them
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:07:17 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »

That's 'me time' sorted then  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »

That's 'me time' sorted then  ;)

A constant delight  ::)

Milamam

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »

Hi
I had severe dry eyes when my hormones started fluctuating. Did't know at the time that things were related. Treated with hot pad on eyelids twice daily, then massage, then Systain Balance eye drops. Also started myself on Omega 3 s ( fish oil). Finally feeling as if the issue is resolved after being also on Hrt for 1.5 years. Estrogen seem to have helped. When my eyes begin to itch and get red, for sure I must be low on estrogen. The drops and pads etc. definitely bring about relief though so don't give up! Treatment can last a bit longer before you see real results.

Milamam
Pages: [1] 2