Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Elleste made my mood swings worse  (Read 4285 times)

Sheryl

Elleste made my mood swings worse
« on: September 10, 2015, 11:30:56 PM »

I am 49.  I am post menopause (last period over 2 yrs ago).  Doctor finally agreed I can try HRT,  My symptoms were mood swings, vaginal dryness and hot flushes.  I was put on Elleste Duet.  It helped with vaginal dryness but literally within 3 weeks of being on it my mood swings had got noticeably worse and I felt angry and volatile almost all the time.  It got so bad I just stopped taking it and within a week while I was still getting mood swings they weren't as bad.  I'd like to try an alternative since I don't want to lose the improvement I got in vaginal dryness but I've never found my doctor very useful where HRT is concerned.  It has taken 3 years of requesting it and being repeatedly told I was too young - now 2 yrs after no periods despite still being deemed young I can finally try it.  Has anyone had similar experience with Elleste Duet and can you suggest a better alternative - I'd like to go back to my GP armed with some suggestions rather than run the risk of them not helping me much again

peegeetip

Re: Elleste made my mood swings worse
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »

Here's a suggestion.
How about try it more than 3 weeks!

Your 2 years past your last period and your body has to be given time to get used to the hormones again.

Keep trying and let things settle for 3 to 6 months.

:-\

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:00:24 AM »

Hi Sheryl

It may be the progesterone (Northisterone) in Elleste that is causing the problem. Why not try Angeliq conti or Femeston conti. both these have a kinder progesterone.

Most ladies try a few types before they settle, so don't give up ;)

Wx

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »

A lot of ladies that chop and change never find a solution.

Best advice, give it time to settle with you as 3 weeks is hard scratching the surface.

You've done the hard part so give it a chance :)

peri

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »

Hi Sheryl, I too didn't get on with elleste duet, it made me depressed.  I changed to patches and did much better not perfect but much better. Hope this helps x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »

Hi Sheryl

I agree with peegeetip that your body is now having to adjust to oestrogen after 2 years post-meno - gosh that is a long time to wait to start HRT.

How old are you anyway? If you are under 51 when you reach menopause you should take HRT until at least this age ( the average natural age of menopause) to help protect heart and bones.

Have you been given Elleste Duet conti ie the same type of tabs every day ie the no bleed type? If so then this could be the cause of your symptoms - ie the synthetic progestogen norethisterone, as warwick says. Some women do not take to continuous progestogen and prefer to continue to have a cycle even if post-meno (like myself).

You could try for longer than 3 weeks though -as peegeetip says - the usual recommendation is 3 months - but obviously if you feel terrible and unable to function then possibly change earlier to a different type!

Hurdity x

peegeetip

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

Hi Sheryl

how are things going?

:-*