Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Heart flutters and palpatations  (Read 5418 times)

orchid

Heart flutters and palpatations
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »

Morning ladies! With regard to anxiety and depression ive been getting some strange palpatations, vague fleeting chest pain and what I can only describe as fluttering beats. It's mostly when I'm extra anxious, which seems all the time at the minute. I have discussed this all with my GP this morning and she is happy that all is fine. I have had heart checks not that long ago, but you still worry don't you...

Nina

Re: Heart flutters and palpatations
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:41:51 PM »

Hello orchid!  I had been suffering palpitations too, but a change of hrt has sorted it. Oestrogel to patches. A higher dose.
I think it was my body calling for more hormones  ;D

Babsm67

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:26:17 PM »

Hello Orchid, I get palpitations sometimes & that fluttery feeling.  As someone who is only too well acquainted with anxiety, I can tell you that I first noticed these sensations along with the fleeting chest pain aged 20 when I suffered terrible anxiety during the preparations for my wedding! (Oh dear, that doesn't sound good, does it?!  ;D) My longsuffering gp finally convinced me (and it took some convincing) that it was due to the anxiety.  The anxiety is just worse now during peri!  These symptoms drive us mad!  :hug: xx

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »

Hello orchid.

Yep, me too. I've had palpitations and Adrenalin surges in the past and now I have fluttering and jittering most of the time,   they are all horrible but for some reason I have never worried about my heart. I remember reading a post where a lady said she could hear her heart beating in her ears and found that really distressing but when it happened to me I quite liked it! I can only assume that my anxiety quota is at max and I simply don't have the energy for any more worry lol.

You have my sympathy and of course it adds to the anxiety but it is just another meno problem that Mother Nature torments us with.

Take care.

K.

orchid

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »

Thank you all for your replies...what relief I'm not the only one! I wish there was a menopause group where I live where us ladies could off load over a glass of vino. Not many of my friends seem to be experiencing the extremes that I have. Hugs to all of you!!

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:23 PM »

I also get the palpitations and fluttery heart.  I have been told everything is ok but it doesn't stop me worrying.

mumziz

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 06:38:16 AM »

I have just started getting palpitations, I'm 54. Can anyone tell me how to cope with them i.e. diet or need hrt.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »

Hi mumziz. Although it's easy to blame everything on meno, and palpitations are one of the meno symptoms, it's always worth getting a new symptom such as this checked out. It's probably just hormonal but better to rule out anything else.

I find that HRT does stop mine - I've never tried a change of diet though.

Taz x

jakeconmag

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »

I also have heart palpitations (PVC's and PAC's) and was referred to a cardiologist.  He told me that patients that present with new onset of palpitations should always be checked thoroughly.  Based on the results of my tests thus far (I have one more - exercise stress test) he thinks my palpitations are menopause related.  He said he often gets women around my age come into his office telling him they are falling apart and wondering what has happened to them.  He said most times it's menopause but other issues need to be ruled out.

This is what I have done to help, but not eliminate, reduce palpitations. 
1.  Gave up alcohol completely.  After several panic attacks, anxiety etc. I gave up alcohol because after a night of having wine it seemed my anxiety and palpitations were worse.  Three months later, feeling like I have a grip on my anxiety, I decide to reintroduce alcohol.  I had one dark beer as someone told me it helps menopause symptoms.  I hadn't even finished it when I started having having palpitations.  I had increased palpitations for two days after that.
2.  Gave up caffeine (even decaf!).  I can have one cup of decaf coffee - anymore and the palpitations, anxiety start up.  I miss coffee!
3.  Started taking magnesium.  This has helped both with insomnia and heart palpitations.  Supposedly many people are deficient in magnesium due to our diets and depletion of the mineral in the soil.  I read you are supposed to take magnesium with Vitamin D (helps Vitamin D absorb into your system) and potassium.  I eat a half of a banana when I take magnesium.  I take it at night because it is very calming and helps me sleep.  When I'm finished with my bottle I am going to get Heart Calm (I can get it on Amazon in the US) which has potassium and magnesium together.  You do have to make sure you don't get magnesium oxide (which is what is in most multivitamins) because it doesn't absorb well and can cause diarrhea.  If you google "magnesium miracle" you can to to this doctor's website where she gives lots of information about magnesium.
4.  Made sure my blood sugar was as steady as possible.  If I became too hungry I would feel lightheaded and have palpitations.
5.  Drank chamomile tea.  Not sure if this really works but when I gave up tea and coffee I had to have something.
6.  HRT - again I tried everything at once (I was desperate!) but I do think it has helped.

I know how distressing heart palpitations can be! 
Maureen

Louisa

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:51 PM »

Likewise, it scares me and it's very un-nerving.  :-[  I have only just started hrt 3 weeks ago.  I also have ectopic heartbeats - irregular fluttering beats.  Had both today and really don't like it one little bit.  Have beta blockers too.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:54:36 PM by Louisa »

Louisa

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »

It says on the box of beta blockers I can take up to 3 tablets a day ('when needed' are the exact words).  Can I take them to prevent palpitations as well as when I'm having palpitations?

dazned

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »

Yes you can,well when I had them that is what Dr said  :D

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »

Yes, I have been getting them more recently. Flutterings which last 10-15 seconds, then feeling like I have to cough sharply to 're set' my heart. Not pleasant. But I shouldn't complain as it's one of the only physical peri symptoms that I have.