Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Undecided  (Read 3493 times)

Jinja

Undecided
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »

I'm got a doctor's appointment on Thursday to get the results of an ultrasound I had done a couple of weeks ago, I was sent for the ultrasound as my GP wanted to rule things out as she seems inconvinced that I'm peri. I'm sure it'll come back normal as the doctor doing it did ask me why I had been sent the only thing was with my foggy brain I couldn't really remember the GP precise flushes  :o
The problem is reading the threads on here I feel as though my symptoms are quite mild, some months are good obviously when my hormones are behaving and I think I don't need hrt then I'll have a couple of bad months and I'm desperate for something to be done.
I have had heavy periods for quite a few years and my GP has been pushing for me to try the mirena which I don't like the idea of but I'm getting to the point of giving it a try and trying to convince her I need oestrogen as well. Do you lovely ladies think this could be a good option?
My main complaints are nausea, itching, heavy periods, irregular periods, occasional hot flushes, I've just started waking up at night hot but not sweating, serious brain fog and this week a tongue that feels like I've sucked a whole bag of boiled sweets!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Undecided
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »

Some GPs only seem to accept 'hot flushes' as a sign of peri.   ::)

If your GP is still reluctant, maybe ask for a referral to a Menopause Clinic, in the mean-time, browse here to see if there is a Clinic close to you? or to a Gynae who knows about menopause!

dazned

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »

The mirena should definitely help with the heavy periods  ;)
So that will mean you have half the hrt in place ! See how you go from there really.

linz57

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:38:59 PM »

Yes good suggestion dazned , as estrogen could always be added in later if needed

Lizab

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:50:18 PM »

It's hard to say. When I was first told I was in peri, I had all that you mention and while it was annoying, it was not so bad that I felt any of it needed to be "fixed". I just rolled with the hormones. Other than the bleeding, that part was bad and was the reason I was in for ultrasounds and biopsies and eventually told it was peri. Had my periods just faded away from there, with no worsening of symptoms, I would have skipped the hrt. For some women it never gets worse. Unfortunately for me, it did get worse. (That actually could be a blessing in disguise as I have since learned that because I'm so young I needed the estrogen anyway.) I had already tried Mirena years ago for contraception, so that wasn't an option for me this time, although it would have been my gyne's first choice for my bleeding issues. If you get on well with the mirena, as dazned said, you'll be halfway there if you find you still need hrt. You'll only have to add estrogen if you need it. The Mirena worked beautifully on my periods when I had it. I actually wish it was still an option for me, but I developed migraines and was generally unwell on it after the first year. Before it caused problems for me it was perfect though. Anyway, it sounds like your GP is guiding you in the right direction, checking first for problems and offering the Mirena.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »

Jinja - if your periods are very irregular and some cycles are much longer than 28 days, and you are getting menopausal symptoms (even if they are not really bad) - and aged around 45 or more then you are definitely peri-menopausal!

The occasional hot flushes and waking up in the night feeling hot - is the first stage for many of us. I used to wake up just like that and wondered if that's what night sweats were - until these started properly.

The NICE Guidelines say this re testing for menopause in women of your age:

Consider using a FSH test to diagnose menopause only:

in women aged 40 to 45 years with menopausal symptoms, including a change in their menstrual cycle

in women aged under 40 years in whom menopause is suspected (see also section 1.6).

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/chapter/Recommendations#managing-short-term-menopausal-symptoms

It is up to you if you feel you need treatment now. Certainly if your actual menopause (ie LMP) is likely to happen below 51/52 then you should supplement with oestrogen to protect your bones and heart. Why not give the Mirena a try as it will sort out the bleeding, and then as the others have said you can add oestrogen as you need it - as pill, patch or gel without extra progestogen?

The other alternative is the CCPill - such as Qlaira - as it contains bio-identical oestrogen, will control your cycle and your bleeding (I think it helps with bleeding  :-\ )

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 09:44:11 PM »

The other alternative is the CCPill - such as Qlaira - as it contains bio-identical oestrogen, will control your cycle and your bleeding (I think it helps with bleeding  :-\ )

Another reason to consider the pill might be that doctors will sometimes prescribe it for 'period problems',  so it might be easier to get that than HRT if your doctor is reluctant to consider you might be peri.  You sound very much like I was in the early stages (not that I realised that was what it was then!)

Jinja

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:05:20 AM »

Thanks for the replies unfortunately I can't take the pill as I have migraines with aura. I'm just hoping the doctor will actually accept that I'm peri this time rather than telling me I'm too young!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:12:04 AM »

Unfortunately your doctor is ignorant and not going by symptoms. As I said your cycle combined with your symptoms should be sufficient. What are the lengths of your last 6 cycles for example and how old are you?

Do refer your doctor to the NICE Guildelines and this website (not the forum) - main menu above - left tab Menopause.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/menopause.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

The ultrasound will surely only measure the thickness of your lining and maybe show up if there are any irregularities eg fibroids - for further investigation?

Please do read up about symptoms and signs of menopause and the Guidelines before you go for your appt. I would go for the Mirena, but only if you are also prescribed some oestrogen too so this would be a low dose patch to start with ( eg Estradot 25) or estrogel.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »

Explain to your GP that meno is never 'too young'! refer him to the Daisy web-site  ;)