Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cat Question  (Read 8467 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cat Question
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »

If a cat doesn't have fleas then don't treat.  Too many chemicals can cause other problems.  Once a cat leaves it's mother and has been wormed regularly in it's first 12 months, it shouldn't, unless a great hunter, need treating.  One will see worms in the litter tray  ;) or in the case of tape worms, they are expelled looking like grains of rice.  Round worms come out wriggling …..
does Advocate kill fleas and worms? There ain't much else internally, unless foreign worms are in your area having been brought in via pets with Passports.

As for fleas  -  if a pet has a pale coloured short coat they can be seen easily.  They tend to collect at the top of the tail and around the neck.  A gentle weekly go over with a comb should be enough.  I had a flea zapper for ours as they had black hair, it would bleep when it killed a flea  ;) - very therapeutic  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »

I think that's why you have to put it on the back of the neck where they can't reach it Briony. It is known to cause a reaction if licked. Frontline hasn't been as effective since it became available over the counter according to my vet although there are reports that fleas are becoming increasingly resistant to all types of control.

Apparently you can have fleas in a pet free home due to these reasons:

Can you have fleas in your house if you don't keep pets?

There are several reasons why you may have a flea infestation even if you don't have pets:

"In the summer months fleas can survive outside and be carried into the house
If you visit friends who have fleas in their homes you can transport them back to yours
If you visit a public building that has a flea infestation you can transport them back to your home
If you move into a new house or flat you can inherit a flea problem (fleas in the pupae stage can remain dormant for up to 9 months and hatch when you walk into an empty property)
By the time you are aware of an infestation, you wil probably have had fleas for some weeks or perhaps months."

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »

My Mum visited a house of someone she didn't know particularly well and was bitten round the ankles  :o …… she didn't like to say anything.  Apparently the cats that lived there weren't 'allowed' into that room  :-\ yeh, well ……. I remember crawling over our lounge carpet on hands and knees to pick up a coal that had jumped from the fire and was bitten on an ankle ….. and we walk round this room lots and had 3 pets at the time  ::)

A trick that lurcher owners use is to chop garlic and steep in a jar of water then soak a piece of cloth in the dilute garlic mix - lurchers are often seen sporting bandanas! and the cloth can be wiped over the pet's coat which supposedly puts fleas off jumping onto the animal  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:48:28 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 [2]