Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem side effects  (Read 7298 times)

Jennifer3318

Vagifem side effects
« on: September 18, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

Hello, just wondered if anyone could give me some advice on Vagifem.  I started taking it 5 days ago for VA but have started to get stomach cramps.  I know it says on the information sheet that it is quite a common side effect but just wondered if this is likely to stop. I don't want to have to stop it as I think it may be helping but today the cramps are definitely worse.  Any ideas? Thanks. Jennifer

Dancinggirl

Re: Vagifem side effects
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »

Yep, quite normal - things should settle quite quickly.  The hit of hormones is waking everything up down there so there are bound to be reactions.  I got some spotting in the first couple of weeks as well.  Keep going.  If the cramps continue beyond the first 2 weeks, after which you reduce to 2-3 times per week, then a trip to the GP would be wise.  DG x

Jennifer3318

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »

Thank you for replying. I will keep going and hopefully it will settle down soon. Xx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »

Yes normal for me too. It took a couple of weeks to properly settle down so it's worth persevering.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »

Keep a diary to see how long it lasts, then let us know  :-\  ???

rantywoman

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:11:08 PM »

You should find it settles down after the initial two week loading time. During those 14 days you're taking a lot more in than you do afterwards...2/3 a week. I found it sometimes felt like I was ovulating, I got a slight "tugging" feeling.

jorainbow

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »

Likewise I got cramps and constant spotting but also every time I used it not just in the initial 14 days.  Cleared as soon as I stopped using it. My symptoms only occur mid cycle (47 but still regular if elongated cycles) so decided it outweighed benefits. It does work and if things get worse I'll try again so definitely persevere if it's working.

Jennifer3318

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I felt so awful by Friday night that I missed that night and Saturday night too. Felt better by Sunday morning so I started again last night So far I feel fine but may just use it every other night for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes. Jennifer x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »

Let us know.  Every day's a learning curve  ;)

Jennifer3318

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 08:12:54 AM »

Hello again. I've been taking the vagifem every other day and no more stomach cramps.  I'm not on any other HRT so will probably continue this for another couple of weeks.

Just one other question please. I was on provera for several years to control heavy and irregular bleeding. It really worked for me and I felt fine until the VA started. I was taking it every day and took a 5 day break. A locum GP I went to about the VA asked me why I was taking Provera 'at my age' and stopped it. Since then I have been plagued with discharge. I've taken antibiotics for it and had swabs taken but nothing found. Could I have continued to take the provera and does anyone think lack of progesterone could add to the discharge and general menopause symptoms? Sorry for such a long question but I seem to go from one thing to another right now. X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »

Could the 'discharge' be the residue of the Vagifem.  The idea is to do a 2 weeks loading, i.e. every night - then every 3/4 night or symptoms will return.

Jennifer3318

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »

Unfortunately not as I had it before starting the vagifem and it's really quite bad.

Pollie

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »

Hi

I'm no expert so this is only guesswork and I don't know how old you are, or if you are peri or post but is it possible that since stopping the progesterone that your own natural oestrogen levels have bounced back ......

More oestrogen = more discharge

Pollie

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »

Jennifer3318 - what is this discharge like?  Is it pink, blood or is it thin and watery or more like thrush?  If so it could be bacterial vaginitis which we tend to be quite prone to when suffering from VA. Antibiotics could actually make this worse!!  I use Multi Gyn Actigel everyday to help prevent this type of infection - there other things on the market you could try but the dryness because of VA dose encourage the wrong bacteria and thrush which will cause discharge. 
Being on Provera all the time is not necessary if you are not getting bleeds any more but it's useful to know you felt OK on this type of progesterone as if you did need to take some oestrogen to control flushes etc. you could take Provera alongside to stop your womb lining building up.

Perhaps you need to have a referral to gynae  to investigate further if this discharge is really troublesome. DG x

Pollie

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 07:09:05 AM »

Hi Jennifer

Just re read this thread and some of your other posts - you don't sound as though you have been well looked after by your GP I think you would really benefit from asking your Gp for a referral to a Gyne clinic and then you will get 'joined up' care. If you go in with a list of all your symptoms, tell your gp that they are all likely to be related to hormone imbalance and be firm you should get an appointment.

Also - you mention that you will continue with Vagifem 'for another couple of weeks'.

I may have misunderstood you but - Unless you move on to a systemic Hrt - it is highly likely that your symptoms will return when you stop . I think Vagifem is a long term solution, but others will have more experience of that.

HTH
Pollie

Pages: [1] 2