Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Toenails  (Read 9258 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Toenails
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »

I think Honeybun has got her wires crossed.  a Podiatrist is the more modern term for a chiropodist.  Both have done a degree course.

The people who are NOT allowed to call themselves a chiropodist are Foot Health Practitioners.  FHPs have often only done a very short course, maybe even a weekend course.  The NHS do NOT employ FHPs only people who have completed a degree course.

FHPs are advertising everywhere now and they're a bit naughty because many are charging what a fully qualified Podiatrist/chiropodist charge.  All they can do really is wash feet, cut nails and rub hard skin down. 

a woman I know worked in a frozen food factory, went off a couple of weekends and became a FHP. She had some cards printed, bought a professional looking uniform and goes to people's house to cut their nails etc. 

Be aware that all the adverts you see for FHPs will be people like this.  They would probably not be capable of studying for a degree where they would learn the anatomy, physiology of the foot and leg and they most definitely can't prescribe or do anything more than cut nails.   My hubby had badly growing toenails and saw a chiropodist and she was able to give him an anaesthetic before she treated him which a FHP definitely could not do.

I would only go to a qualified podiatrist because, as they say with horses, "no foot no horse." And that is so true. 

This might help

http://www.leicesterleicestershirerutlandchiropodistspodiatrists.co.uk/llrcp/diff/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:37:39 PM by Pennyfarthing »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »

:thankyou:

Limpy

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »

I think Honeybun has got her wires crossed.  a Podiatrist is the more modern term for a chiropodist.  Both have done a degree course.

Er possibly things have changed or are different in Scotland.....

Anyone can call themselves a chiropodist will little or no training. But a podiatrist has to be fully qualified. That's why you only get a podiatry appointment with the NHS.

Only know because hubby gets his feet done on the NHS as he is diabetic and he asked the difference.

Dyan

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »

I file mine as they are too thick to cut.
I have to put my leg up on the loo lid to do it ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »

Photos. ?  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »

My hubby went for his first podiatry appointement recently and he asked.

That was what he was told by the NHS podiatrist. I honestly had no clue before and neither did hubby. Can't think his podiatrist was telling him a load of.....toenails  ;D

Honeybun
X

Linsey44

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »

Well whatever they are called they are doing my feet tomorrow.  A summer of wearing flips flops hasnt done them any favours.   ;D

Linsey x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 09:32:44 PM »

My hubby went for his first podiatry appointement recently and he asked.

That was what he was told by the NHS podiatrist. I honestly had no clue before and neither did hubby. Can't think his podiatrist was telling him a load of.....toenails  ;D

Honeybun
X

Honeybun .... Maybe your hubby misheard or got confused because chiropodist and podiatrist are both "protected titles" and this has been the case for years.  There have been many cases of people who have called themselves "chiropodists" and they are nothing of the sort. 
It is a criminal offence and they have been dealt with by the courts. 

Maybe this will help explain

http://www.iocp.org.uk/IOCP_Code_of_Ethics.php

I have a friend who is a qualified Podiatrist (formerly known as Chiropodist) and she gets very cross because she trained for several years to get her degree but now all these Foot Health Practitioners have appeared on the scene and they add some meaningless letters after their name, the public seem to think they are very qualified people and they're not. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:38:29 PM by Pennyfarthing »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »

Er possibly things have changed or are different in Scotland.....

Anyone can call themselves a chiropodist will little or no training. But a podiatrist has to be fully qualified. That's why you only get a podiatry appointment with the NHS.

Only know because hubby gets his feet done on the NHS as he is diabetic and he asked the difference.

Definitely not Limpy.  If you look at the link I gave above you will see that it's a professional national organisation.  So if you see a Chiropodist or Podiatrist you can rest assured that they know what they're doing, they are fully insured and registered and are fully qualified to degree level.

A Foot health professional may have just done a weekend course and can only do minimal stuff which you could do yourself.

You may as well go to a beauty salon and have a pedicure.    ;)

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »

My hubby doesn't get mixed up PN beleive me  ::)

I asked him again and that was what he was told.

I quite accept what you are saying though.

Honeybun
X

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

No problem.  men are always right aren't they?   ;D
Pages: 1 [2]