Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: anyone know about plumbing?!  (Read 5416 times)

oldsheep

anyone know about plumbing?!
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »

wondered if anyone on here knows anything about matters plumbing? We have a bath mixer tap that has a handheld shower attachment. Normally the flow of water through the hand held is stronger than the mixer. It's one of those lift-the-cap in the middle of the mixer type shower handheld attachments. (you know, keep it down and water comes out the bath tap; lift it up and it comes out of the handheld shower head).
Today it's a trickle. The hose isn't kinked. We are in a hard water area if that could be significant?  it worked 100% fine yesterday.

I could get a new hose (assuming I can get the thing undone and re-done up; don't own a wrench) but I wonder if it's the lift up cap that's broken. I don't want to buy a new tap!

any ideas? thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: anyone know about plumbing?!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »

I remember when these types of bath/shower attachments were illegal.  It really does depend on how your water is delivered as to how well they work.  Something to do with other cold water taps being used in various parts of the house ….

Could it be a build up of scale?  Try some white vinegar, soak the 'head' in it?

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:32:06 PM »

Think you may need a plumber to be honest.

Why would it be illegal CLKD

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 06:34:46 PM »

Because people were being scalded when water pressure altered around the house, causing a drop in water pressure which allowed hot water to flow : i.e. someone using the mixer attachment, someone downstairs filling the kettle from the cold tap = too much hot water delivered  ……. I was surprised when going to a B&B a few years ago to find them in use. 

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 06:36:39 PM »

it's ok CKLD as we have a new-ish unvented boiler system. Water flow and pressure and constant and unaffected by turning on other taps.
We are fitting a new (other, tiny) en suite in a few weeks' time, but didn't want to add yet another labour charge on to his list  :o
Might have to.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »

That's good!  How controllable is the attachment?

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

Sounds like some kind of blockage. I take it taps are OK? A new hose might be all that's required if taps are fine. The shower hoses usually unscrew fairly easily, at least ours did.

star35

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »

We had the same problem, turned out we just needed a new washer.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 04:15:54 PM »

Any news - I think of you every time I turn on a tap!

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 05:52:41 PM »

Like Star35 says - try a new washer.
If that doesn't work it might be worth doing a search on the type of mixer tap/shower head, they may be renowned for having this type of fault.