Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hay Fever and UK holidays  (Read 5844 times)

Stellajane

Hay Fever and UK holidays
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »

Just wondering if there are any hay fever sufferers out there who have found places to holiday in the UK where they can be reasonably comfortable?  This year we chose Wales and I had a thoroughly miserable time!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hay Fever and UK holidays
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »

Was it worse than being at home?  I have had allergic rhinitis which is aggravated if we don't hoover round regularly eased by Beconase nasal spray for years as well as anti-histamine tablets.

I find that I am better when away where ever we go. However, I was working in Wales when my problems began and the ENT Surgeon told me that a drier atmosphere would improve the situation. 

If I remember I begin eating locally grown honey in Feb. which eases any symptoms from willows etc. as they come into flower.  Grass pollen doesn't affect me.

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »

I have hayfever. Mines grass pollen, so it starts in May and lasts until the end of July.  Not been anywhere in the UK where it's been any better. Although staying next to the coast does help slightly.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:29:55 PM »

I find that if we [Himself actually], do a deep clean weekly, i.e. get the Hoovery-thingy and re-unite it with the carpets, mattress, sofa etc., it eases all the snuffles that I have suffered with for years.  So maybe having a very good hoover round the areas that you use regularly? and empty the dust bag immediately.

Using a Beconase nasal spray a few times a week has also helped, I did find that if I used it daily my nose became dry and very sore  :-\.  I did have allergy pin-**** tests years ago but they didn't show up ought, I did find that I am allergic to cats though  ::) which didn't help.  Again, nasal symptoms.

It has been recommended too that before going outside to put Vaseline up the nostrils as far and as thick as is tolerable, therefore stopping any spores going up the nose.  It creates a barrier.  Apparently  ::)