Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling nervous!  (Read 1504 times)

EllyB

Feeling nervous!
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »

Hello - new to this forum (obviously) and feeling a tad nervous since having a Mirena coil fitted this morning for the prog part of HRT as well as whacking on a low dose Estraderm patch (that bit doesn't make me nervous)!  Was rather prog sensitive with my last combined patch (the name of which escapes me right now but I know the culprit was norethisterone).  Basically, PMS symptoms grew and grew in intensity until after six weeks I was left feeling suicidal (yes indeed and I don't say that lightly as I've never felt suicidal before or since).   I ended up ripping the patch off and having a massive bleed the very next day combined with a hugely improved mood.  Having told the GP this her solution was the Mirena, as she says little of the progestogen will get into my system; I wish I was convinced but I have given it a go as meno symptoms have ruled my life relentlessly, exhaustingly and debilitatingly over the last few months and I felt a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Really hoping for some reassurance that I won't go into prog melt down again with the Merina in place (can't go ripping that out) - although this reassurance is likely an impossibility I'm hoping someone will give it a try!! Thanks...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling nervous!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:40:31 PM »

:welcomemm:
have a browse of the menus, top of screen.  Ask away!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM EllyB
I had a Mirena for over 4 years and it was the best option for me at the time. It is often given to those who struggle with progesterone in pill or patch form and you may be surprised how well you do. The plus is you can use as little or as much oestrogen as you need to control you flushes etc.
I wouldn't worry - just try to relax, as there is a very good chance it will work well for you. I just felt a little sleepy sometimes for the first few months - really relaxed actually and slept really well!!!!
If you don't get on with the patches then you could switch to using the Oestrogel which I've used for years - this allows you to adjust the dose to your needs.  What dose is your patch? If it's 50 or more then that is fine - if it's 25-37 then this may be too low.
Keep posting DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:37 PM »

Hi EllyB

:welcomemm: from me too.

How old are you and whereabouts in meno are you re periods etc? I will be interested to hear how you get in with the Mirena after your problems with norethisterone. I had the same problem (but not nearly as bad)when I first started HRT more than 8 years ago - I had the same patches (Evorel sequi) but the norethisterone gave me migraines so changed to "natural" progesterone which I tolerated better. Ironically though I can now take norethisterone - my GP said to take it once a year to "strip" my womb lining and I haven't had the slightest hint of a headache - just some low blood sugar symptoms.

Do hope it works for you - as Dancinggirl says you might need to tweak your oestrogen dose. I use Estradot 50 mcg and have done for years - suits me fine!

Hurdity x  :)