Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Panicking!  (Read 6489 times)

Claireylou

Panicking!
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:57:47 AM »

Good morning ladies, could someone help me please?

I'm 44 and well into peri.  My period last month was 4 days long, not particularly heavy or painful.  It started on August 9th. It continued to taper off with very very light brown discharge until August 27th which was only there when I wiped.  My next period was due around September 1st and I'm still waiting. On 8th the very light brown spotting started, again only there when I wipe. I've got no signs like the usual pms that a period is on its way. Can I also add that I feel my anxiety has really ramped up since august. I feel kind of different, like there has been a shift of some kind.

I'm sorry if that makes no sense. I'm just really confused. Is this brown spotting a period trying to get going??

Thank you for reading xx

Galadriel

Re: Panicking!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 07:33:00 AM »

Hi Claireylou,

This sounds very normal for peri. Brown spotting sounds like old blood that might have been a period coming away.
Periods can become scant, heavy, long, short, longer in between, closer together and it can all change at the drop of a hat. In the absence of your usual signs that a period is on it's way it sounds like your hormones are playing up and your increased anxiety is connected.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will be along soon to help. Just thought I'd reply to you as I've had this and the ramped up anxiety too.

:hug:

Galadriel x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »

Yes it does sound completely normal Claireylou so try not to panic.

The spotting and the feeling like your body is trying to have a period is because your hormones are being switched on and off at the wrong times - well at different times to what you are used to. I'm not sure which does what but think of it as the hormones telling your womb to begin to shed it's lining and, then, just as it is beginning to do this another hormone kicks in and says "actually, no, stop shedding" so the shedding stops and then the other hormone chips in with "Nope. Start shedding". Sounds a bit childish I know but this is how I picture it!

Periods can come close together or months apart. It is a roller coaster at this time.  The only time to worry is if you have bleeding after sex - this always needs to be checked out.

Taz x

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:40:40 AM »

Hi Galadriel. Thank you for replying. I think I know deep down that it's my hormones playing up. I'm just looking for reassurance I guess. It's a tricky one because every little change throws me into blind panic and with my anxiety levels ramping up I start to fret.

I really appreciate you taking time to reply, thank you xx

TropicalVon69

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »

Hi Claire....I don't really have any solutions for you but I know how it feels....sending a  :bighug:xxx

Claireylou

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »

Hi Taz, thank you for replying.  The way you have described it has helped me to understand a bit better, not childish at all. I've not had bleeding after sex. The brown spotting happened a few months ago and always contined after my period with no breaks but then I had a few normal periods so my gut feeling is screaming hormones.

It's not painful at all, just inconvenient.

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it xx

Claireylou

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 07:46:38 AM »

Thank you for your kind words TropicalVon xx

Pollie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »

Taz2 that's a great explanation of the hormonal feedback mechanism .

I don't understand it despite weeks of online 'learning' and it absolutely infuriates me that I can't get my meno brain round it .. :o

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 10:48:08 PM »

I'm glad you find it helpful!

Taz x  :)

Claireylou

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »

Ok so it's day 5 of this blink and you'd miss it light brown discharge.  Still no sign of a normal period.  Could this discharge be a period?? Sorry to ramble on but I've been flipping googling and managed to scare myself witless.

Just wanted to offload, thanks for reading xx

Pollie

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »

Claireylou - my Gyne explained that in peri I shouldn't think in terms of 'periods' anymore.

Spotting, bleeding etc it's all shedding of lining to a greater or lesser degree and not necessarily connected to ovulation.

It's all perfectly 'normal' for peri menopause.  :)

Don't look for an obvious period just deal as best you can with what happens and expect no predictability....

Don't scare yourself !!

X

Claireylou

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »

Thank you Pollie. I think it's the unpredictability of it all which scares me. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me xx

BrightLight

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »

Hi Claireylou
I am 45 and recognise both the pattern of bleeding/spotting and frightening your self only too well - great explanations on this thread, they have helped me too. 

I do try to tell myself that things are not 'working' as they once did and that's OK - but haven't quite got my head around it and still expect my body to do as it always has.  x

Claireylou

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »

Thank you so much Brightlight, that means so much to me. Just to know I'm not the only one out there helps enormously xx

Claireylou

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »

Hi Sparkle, I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced the same but thank you for replying. 
Well, this morning it appears to have stopped. It lasted 5 days in total so I guess it was my body's attempt at a period. I don't feel like I know my body anymore  :(

Thank you Sparkle xx
Pages: [1] 2