Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do I need Citalopram?  (Read 10645 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Do I need Citalopram?
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »

Hello all - I really need some advice please.

I've been off Sertraline for 10 days now after taking for 10 days. The last week has been totally awful with heightened anxiety, crying spells and depression. I didn't have the depression before I took Sertraline. I think I am fooling myself that if I become clean from the Sertraline for 2 weeks, I'll return to my pre Sertraline days. The last 10 days, I've restarted the femoston and iron tablets and have taken 4 x 2mg diazepam.

It seems every day I get a bit of a down spell and feel confused about who I am and what I'm trying to achieve!

I've now got Citalopram from my GP but am afraid to take it because I had such a bad time on the Sertraline.  Any advice greatly appreciated xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Do I need Citalopram?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:07:11 PM »

Mis71Mum - I think what you are experiencing is quite normal when coing off an AD/SRRI like Sertraline.  Why were you given it in the first place? If they gave you the sertraline for meno symptoms to replace HRT, why did they do this? If you have had anxiety then Citalopram alongside the Femoston may be worth trying.  I personally think you should give yourself more time to get over the Sertraline before starting another SRRI  - if in 4-6 weeks you feel you want to try the Citalopram with the Femoston then do it then.
Were you feeling generally better when on the Femoston before?  DG xxx

Tabbycat

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »

I've been on both those meds (they gave me a cough and a tight chest so I came off them). They helped with the anxiety but all SSRIs take a while to settle down and you need to take them for three or four weeks to feel any benefit.

TBH, though, I think GPs prescribe ADs too easily. If you're not clinically depressed or anxious, these meds won't help. Anxiety is common during the menopause but doesn't respond well to ADs.

dazned

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »

I'm on full hrt Tabbycat and ads were the only thing that took the anxiety away for me ,so think that was a bit of a sweeping statement,each one of us is different surely . ;)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »

My anxiety started when I was on full HRT.

I tried ADs but couldn't stand the side effects.

I really wanted them to work as at that point I really needed help.

ADs are prescribed very successfully for anxiety.

Honeybun
X

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »

Hi Everyone
Thanks for the replies. I have had chronic anxiety for nearly a year. Once I commenced Femoston 1/10 and continued it for 3 months, the anxiety settled a bit. I then went to Femoston 2/10 and the anxiety went through the roof.....at the same time I was told my ferritin levels were 6. My GP then pulled me off the F2/10 mid packet. Since then I've gone haywire and my GP prescribed Sertraline in place of hrt.

Because I was struggling at work, I started the Sertraline and it caused me massive problems since coming off it. Can only describe as bending my brain and massive panick attacks.

As I have been off sick for 2 and a half weeks, I feel under pressure to get well and cope soon. Hence that's why I feel I have to start the AD's before returning to work.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »

Mis71Mum
As it will take at least 2 weeks for the Citalopram to kick in and may possibly bring some nasty side effects to start with, I really wouldn't start them until you have let the Femoston 1/10 get you back on track. Don't feel pressured into going back to work until you feel ready. Unfortunately GPs do rely on ADs/SRRIs too often - yes, they can help some women with their anxiety but GPs don't warn you about the side effects and SRRIs don't always work.  Be patient and give yourself time to gather your strength.  You don't sound ready to go back to work. DG x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:30:43 PM »

Hi Dancing Girl - I think your right re getting the F1/10 under my belt first. And to be fair, the depression and anxiety is not worsening. My counsellor thinks I will return to normal if I give myself time. My Mum and Dad are "babysitting" me every day as I don't like being on my own whilst the children are at school. So at the moment, I don't think I am well enough to be in work. It's so hard to explain where I've been mentally to people if you've never suffered. Xx

Honeybun - how do you cope with anxiety without AD's? Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:48 AM »

Mis71Mum
Many of us go through phases of depression and anxiety for all sorts of reasons and it can be baffling how debilating it can be.  I'm pleased you are getting some counselling as this will hopefully help you to keep things in perspective. I've had some rough times in the past, I did have some CBT therapy which helped, and one can emerge stronger.  Do try some Mindful Meditation - my GP suggested I read a book about it and I've found this very helpful. There are a number of good books about practising Mindful Meditation but I read: Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world  5 May 2011
by Prof Mark Williams and Dr Danny Penman
DG x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »

Hi Dancing Girl
I have the last book you mentioned! Just not felt up to reading it but will as you've now recommended it.
I hope to stay off AD's for as long as possible to give the f1/10 time to work and accept that my crying spells are all part of my brain rebalancing post Sertraline. Sometimes when you're in the midst of all the fog, you can't think clearly. So thank you for listening and helping me become objective xxxx

Sarai

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 12:18:57 PM »

I am on sertraline. I came off it 5 years ago because I wanted to but needed it again. However the side effects were bad, I lost my appetite, was more anxious but over the weeks it settled. I gained weight and all anxiety was gone until my disasterous year this year and meno stuff. I have just upped my dose a little. I would say whatever you take, if you really need it stick with it for over a month at least. The benchmark for these things is if they make you more anxious to start it means they are going to work for you.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »

Does anyone take any vitamins, ie B6, B12 or D? Just thinking of how to give myself a boost after coming off AD's.  Would they be safe to take with an occasional 2 mg diazepam too?

If so, what doseage would be acceptable?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:22:02 AM by Mis71Mum »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »

I don't think vitamins generally interfere with medication - there would be warning on the vitamin packets if they do. It's not a bad idea to take a good vitamin if you are feeling run down but this shouldn't replace a good balanced diet.  There is still plenty of sunshine through September and October so getting out in the sun for 15- 30 mins each day (try to expose your arms if you can) to really get a boost of Vit D is a good idea.
I'm taking Feroglobin at the moment as I'm feeling rather tired - this is a good energy booster with B6, B12 and Iron.  DG x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »

I think my plan will be to get to 3 weeks clear from Sertraline for 3 weeks. And if that means taking a 2 mg diazepam every other day, then so be it. The fourth week, I'll be medication free. At the end of the 4th week, I'll make a decision as to what to do.

It's going to be tough because right now am struggling with anxiety and feeling more depressed than before. Also am due back at work on Wednesday! Not sure how that's going to go!

Each day I'm getting more hrt into my system so hopefully that will assist my recovery.

My dreams are so weird too!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »

We have a thread about dreams too  ::)

For me depression is totally different from anxiety.  Some ADs can ease both problems apparently.

How is your diet in general?  Low blood sugar can cause anxiety surges so eating every 3 hours might help.
Pages: [1] 2