Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Don't want to make a faux pas  (Read 5951 times)

Joyce

Don't want to make a faux pas
« on: September 09, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »

Wonder if any of you ladies can help. As some of you know our son marries in November next year. I'm going on a trip to Edinburgh next week & going to look at possible outfits, more to see what suits & what doesn't suit my figure. MOB has bought her outfit, Royal Blue Pattern with plain Royal Blue jacket. Bride says wear what suits me & not bother about colour. However, I feel I'd like to make the effort to blend in rather than stand out. Bridesmaids are wearing Platinum dresses. Do I look at blue? I've seen a really nice colour, blossom pink but not sure if that will be OK or not. I myself am fair haired. Hubby likes one online which is navy with blossom pink bodice.

Dulciana

Re: Don't want to make a faux pas
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »

Maybe think about how the wedding photos will look, cubagirl.   If you wear blossom pink, the MOB wears royal blue and the bridesmaids wear platinum, there will be lots of nice contrast to the bride's white and all the main people will stand out in their own context.  I'm not sure about blue worn by both mothers, even if one if navy.   :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »

1  never upstage the bride
2  never upstage the bride's Mum  ;)

What colours do you wear on a daily basis?  Maybe a plain dress/trousers with brighter over the top or contrasting shoes and handbag.  Hat?

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »

When we got married, I wore silver-grey, bridesmaids wore a deep blue, my mum wore navy and cream and my mother-in-law wore a peachy/salmony dress and jacket.  As Dulciana said, the mix of colours in photos looks nice, both mums wore colours they were happy and relaxed wearing, and nothing looked 'contrived'.

The bride has said wear what you feel comfortable in - if she wanted you all to co-ordinate, she'd have said so.  So choose something you are happy in, colour and style-wise.  Have fun shopping.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:03:31 PM »

Thanks for replies ladies. I've been looking online at things not to do, but advice wasn't much help. Don't match the bridesmaids & don't wear same colour as bride. Also not to wear black, though OK for guests. Wouldn't wear black anyway.

littleminnie

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »

Grey dress & coloured jacket (peach, navy,  pink or any colour that's suits you).
Navy dress, with grey jacket & accessories.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »

NEVER wear black to a wedding - it is NOT a funeral  :-X though watching people going in and out of our village Church a lot wear black  :'(.  Had anyone turned up in black at our wedding there would have been words!

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »

Listen to the bride......she says go with what you are comfortable with.

Now in my opinion this young woman knows you quite well....so therefore knows your style....and trusts you. Take the compliment ....because it is one , and buy what you want.

Navy with a pink bodice sounds lovely.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »

She's seen me in stuff I've already tried, albeit a photograph. She truly doesn't mind what anyone wears so long as it's something they feel good in. Would be easier to be male, they're all wearing grey kilts.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »

>just< kilts  :o

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 04:23:48 PM »

Hope not, it'll be November time. Oh I've looked at lots of gorgeous things online. Seen a gorgeous purple one & a mauve one. Whether they'll suit me remains to be seen. Hubby says he'll take me to shop in Aberdeenshire to look at outfits nearer the time. Result!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »

Oh go now  ;D 'strike whilst the man has his wallet in his hand '  :D

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »

Well ladies I think I've found the dress! Hubby wasn't there, but assistant took photo for me to show him. He approves! Result! First dress I tried on. It's pink, but like a strawberry/raspberry pink. Ruching which hides lumps & bumps & teeny tiny bit of being. I need strong colours as I'm fair, pale colours wiped me out.  I trailed Edinburgh so much, my back & legs are killing me. It'll need adjusting though.