Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Failed Mirena Insertion now cramping and bleeding!!!!  (Read 8893 times)

mcwey

Failed Mirena Insertion now cramping and bleeding!!!!
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »

Hi all,

After a long six months or being diagnosed with early menopause I have been on femoston 2/10 for 15 weeks. Although it has helped with my oestrogen levels. It has not fixed my atrophy and I have had heavy bleeding and very painful periods so my gynae suggested the Mirena and going on Estrogel to titrate to improve my estrogen levels so in turn help the atrophy.

All a great plan, or so I thought, after much trying, cervical clamp, local anaesthetic etc she could not get the Mirena in, this is a very well respected seriously experienced obstetrician/gynae in london so if she can't get it in no one can!! Once it did not go in she sent me off for an internal scan an hour later as they have one in the clinic. An internal scan after that was quiet sore but I was glad I had it done. It showed a retroverted enlarge uterus with fibroids, one of the fundal.

Post scan, she recommended a hysteroscopy and mirena insertion under general anaesthetic.

Since the failed attempt and ultrasound I have had lots of cramping and bleeding and am quiet worried. I have to arrange to transfer my care to another gynae as I am based in Ireland now and there is a two week delay in getting into my new gynae.

My question is is it a) normal to have pain and cramping after a failed mirena insertion, she did use cervical clamps and had a couple of attempts. Is the mirena the right course of treatment if you have fibroids and will the bleeding be worse.

I can't get my head round it all, as I had stopped bleeding naturally before the femoston and don't understand why I have to bleed monthly anyway and why they can't put me on conti to avoid all of this.

The whole thing is really starting to get me down! Any advice would really help me as I don't know what to do and if the Mirena will be worth it.

Many thanks

Cazikins

Re: Failed Mirena Insertion now cramping and bleeding!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »

Hi mcwey,
You are bound to have pain & discomfort after being prodded about like that, but give it time for things to settle down   :hug:
I had several mirena coils fitted in my 40's & 50's & I also have fibroids & every time it stopped my bleeding. I used HRT estro only & I had very little problems.
I do hope things get better in a few days - in my opinion the mirena coil is a good option for heavy painful periods.

Cazikins xx

Hurdity

Re: Failed Mirena Insertion now cramping and bleeding!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »

Hi mcwey

Cazikins is right about the Mirena and fibroids - this is what it says here on this site:

Fibroids   
    Fibroids are benign smooth muscle tumours of the uterine (womb) wall and are dependant on estrogen. They tend to shrink after the menopause but shrinkage may not occur, or they may even increase in size with HRT use. Increase is thought to occur in 25% of HRT users and mainly occurs in the first six months of therapy. There is some evidence that transdermal (patch or gel) but not tablet HRT nor tibolone may promote fibroid growth. [ref 24] Fibroid size can be monitored by regular examinations and sometimes by ultrasound scans. There is some evidence that the use of the progestogen releasing intra-uterine system, Mirena may cause fibroids to reduce in size. Mirena is often used in the perimenopause by women who have heavy periods and/or require contraception and can provide the progestogen part of their HRT.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossF

If your periods had stopped for less than 12 months then you are not classed as post-menopause so then HRT is usually given to induce a withdrawal bleed ie on a monthly cycle, and you are only given conti HRT when you are without periods for 12 months.

The advantage of the Mirena is that you can use it while fertile and right through the menopause and it gives contraceptive protection as well - so it doesn't matter what stage you are at and as Cazikins said it will control your bleeding and then you can add oestrogren for your symptoms and health benefits.

Also many women need Vagifem as well as full HRT for vaginal symptoms (I use both) - this is recommended on this site.

Hope the pain goes soon and good luck with your procedures!

How old are you?

Hurdity x