Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cezarette and oestrogen levels  (Read 2390 times)

Hurdity

Cezarette and oestrogen levels
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »

Hello all

There has been talk about Cezarette quite a lot on here just recently and in the past - because women have been on it and then starting to feel symptoms when they get to 40's and 50's.

Well although I know almost nothing about CCPs and how they work as I haven't needed to know - I though I would look this up in view of all the specific questions.

On Estelle's thread this morning (or was it someone else's?) talking about Cezarette and symptoms I said I thought it would have the effect of reducing oestrogen levels because it suppresses ovulation and it is the developing follicles that produce the oestrogen. I said I wasn't sure because I was guessing so thought I'd better look it up!

It turns out that in the summary info about Cezarette it says this: Treatment with Desogestrel (or Cezarette) (which is the prog in Cezarette) leads to decreased estradiol levels to a level corresponding with early follicular phase.
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/10098. Scroll down to section 5.1.

Well no wonder that women don't always feel good on it. The early follicular phase is the first few days of your period when oestrogen is at its lowest!!!! As I read it this means it completely dampens down your cycle so that your oestrogen levels are fairly low - and never rise to that lovely peak when women feel at their best, feel positive and motivated, enjoy sex more etc.

I haven't found out much more about this but that seems fairly plain to me..

I can't quite understand what happens to the ovaries while you are not ovulating and what makes oestrogen fall even further. Presumably there is some background activity so that the ovaries still produce some oestrogen but not enough, and as you approach peri-menopause this also declines hence the symptoms begin to appear?

Hope this is helpful to some of you out there, despite this being rather sketchy!  :)

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Cezarette and oestrogen levels
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »

Interesting Hurdity, thank you.

I take Rigevidon rather than Cevarette. But my understanding was the dosage of oestrogen is really quite high, so even if the prog in the BCP can supress oesteogen, you still have plenty, if that makes sense.

Briony

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »

Isn't Cerazette a POP? If so, you can't compare it with Rigevidon as that is a COC? One has estrogen in and the other doesn't!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:24:00 AM by Briony »

wombat62

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »

Yes, it is a POP but it's different to the rest because it has the 12 hour window for taking it. Most of the others were always 3 hours (maybe different now) and then you were on dangerous ground :)

I tried Cezarette because of the 12 hour window, never had a problem on it. I came off Cezarette when moved countries and couldn't get it anymore and then tried another POP but flushes got bad and doc put me on combined, (the one that causes all the clots)...flushes disappeared and I felt great for a while, no wonder! Anyway, came off everything, had tests and was shown to be post and then low dose hrt.

The levels of oestrogen in BCP are much higher than hrt even if with the combined pill they are still surpressing ovulation. Hormones are just a mystery!

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »

Thats great, thank you so much for looking into that.

Will bring that up at my GP visit (few weeks off yet) but certainly worth knowing. :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 05:43:15 PM »

Hi GypsyRoseLee - sorry I didn't make that clear - but the post was mainly intended for women who know about Cezarette - and know that it is a POP, I didn't think to clarify. The hormonal control of ovulation and the menstrual cycle is very complex isn't it!! I'm still trying to get my head round all the hormones involved and the feedback mechanisms!

There were some women talking about (menopausal) symptoms coming on while using Cezarette and I can imagine if you take it heading into peri-menopause the symptoms of low oestrogen may well be more marked because oestrogen is lower already. Not sure if that is actually the case though, but anything that reduces oestrogen levels can't be beneficial I would say!

Hurdity x