Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bleeding after having Mirena fitted  (Read 2409 times)

LadyJane

• One day at a time ...
Bleeding after having Mirena fitted
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted here before, but I'm after some advice if possible. I'm 52 and I think I'm peri-menopausal as I was having fairly normal periods until December. I then really heavy bleeding which started in February, and ended up having the Mirena fitted back in May.

Well, apart from some mild spotting, it seemed to settle ok. I didn't react too badly to the hormone and I felt really optimistic that it was sorting me out at last (it had felt like a very long year up until then; I'd also had a breast cyst appear, probably because I'd been taking massive amounts of Norethisterone to stop the bleeding, but of course at the time, I didn't know it was just a cyst.)

Anyway, last month I started spotting again and assumed it would just tail off after a few days. It changed into bleeding though, and got heavier, and I've now been on an extended period for the last three weeks or so. Not much fun.

I'm just wondering, is this normal? All the info I've read seems to suggest that periods/bleeding will ease off and virtually stop with Mirena, so this is making me wonder. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or is there someone who has the medical knowledge to give me more information on this. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding after having Mirena fitted
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM LadyJane
You poor thing - I'm not surprised you are worried. I'm certainly not an expert but I have had a Mirena in the past so understand that you may be worried.
The Mirena does stop bleeding for many women but not all. If you are peri meno then your own hormones will be fluctuating and you may have had a spike in your hormones which could trigger this bleed. Bleeding and spotting is normal in the first 6 months anyway but an extended heavy bleed at this stage should perhaps be investigated.  Have you checked the Mirena is still in place? They sometimes fall out or dislodge!!!!
I would pop to the doctor and have things checked for peace of mind if nothing else.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »

Hi LadyJane

I know very little about the Mirena but just wanted to say  :welcomemm: from me too and I agree with Dancinggirl  :)

Hurdity x

LadyJane

• One day at a time ...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »

Good advice, thanks Dancinggirl. I'm sure you're right. I was hoping to avoid yet another trip to the Doc's, but maybe I should go.

Presumably dislodging would lead to pain, and I haven't had any, thank goodness, but I've no idea whether it could have fallen out. Since it was fitted, I've never been able to detect it....Anyway, I'll see how it goes and if the bleeding doesn't stop, I'll make that appointment. Thanks again, much appreciated.

And thanks for the welcome, Hurdity.This site is a wonderful place!  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:13:02 PM »

You wouldn't necessarily feel the Mirena dislodging or even falling out.  If you can reach a finger into your vagina you should feel two little strings that hang down from the neck of your uterus and if they are there this means it's still in place. Those strings can sometimes get tucked up further inside the vagina but if you run the finger around the neck of the womb/uterus they should be there. I think it's a good idea to check regularly that it is still in place.
Though it was quite painful having the Mirena fitted, when I had it out I didn't feel a thing, it slipped out easily!!!! DG x

LadyJane

• One day at a time ...
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »

I've never been able to locate the strings at all. My fingers mustn't be long enough, lol!  :-\

I've probably shied away from poking around too much down there, tbh, as I was so fed up of all the bleeding and getting 'manhandled' down there, etc., I just wanted to leave it be. (Needless to say, the sex-life has hit an all time low too, and it seems ironic that the one time I no longer need to worry about contraception, etc., I just couldn't care less about having sex. Not much fun for the hubby either. *sigh*)

Thanks again, Dancinggirl. I do appreciate your taking time to comment. I'm cautiously optimistic that things seem a little better today, so perhaps it's finally easing off.

libby1

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »

I've had a mirena for 3 years and still had periods  >:(

It maybe just a period but might be worth checking with gp

Libby
x

LadyJane

• One day at a time ...
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »

Thanks, Libby. It's not so much having periods that bothers me, it's more the fact that the period's been going on for three weeks now, so it isn't behaving like a 'normal' bleed.

Come to think of it though, when I took the progesterone only pill (while I was breastfeeding my daughter 20 years ago) I had this type of bleed pattern -- nothing for a few months, and then a long extended bleed -- so it could be just my body's response to the progesterone...?

But I just wondered if anyone else had found this to be the case during peri-menopause whilst using Mirena. Looking for some reassurance before biting the bullet and making that doctor's appointment, I guess!  :)