Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oestrogel  (Read 6440 times)

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogel
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »

Liz - definitely do not apply the oestrogel on top of lotion as it could affect the absorption - I would apply it to the inner thigh while on holiday and avoid using lotion on this area for at least one hour after applying.

babyjane - it depends where you are in menopause. If you are post-menopausal then your hormones will have declined to their lowest level approx 2 years after your last period and you should then stay on an even keel and not get the same mood swings that you got before as such. However the continued lack of oestrogen can affect some women permanently ie lead to low mood, anxiety and a general flatness. I can imagine it is more difficult to attribute these symptoms to low oestrogen when you are post-menopausal and if you don't also get hot flushes and sweats - but the oestrogen will still be low if you see what I mean? Also thyroid hormones may play a part too - hypo thyroid tends to mean slower metabolism and perhpas sluggishness which could contribute to low mood as well ( thinking aloud here as have no experience!). Depending on your age and years since menopause some form of oestrogen ( gel or patch will do the same job) might well be beneficial but if you have a womb still you will need a progestogen too (as you can see from the posts below) - and this is the bit that can cause problems. To bleed or not to bleed, to suffer from progestogogen  side effects or not? All worth thinking about.

I am sure you will have read my view - which is that of many gynaes, that ADs should not be used as first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms - especially flushes and sweats. However if you are post-menopausal without these symptoms you might have difficulty persuading the doc that it is due to low oestrogen and they may well be keen to prescribe ADs! However it is your choice - if you are thinking of taking something. Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

babyjane, yes it very definitely can help with all those things.  Give it a try!

donnacrichton

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 09:07:40 PM »

I've got no hormones of my own as been shut down with zolidex that's why I'm confused it should be level. It varies from dizzy spells to headaches and tingling which is what I get with changing doses. Can this still be months to stabilise although my system shut down?

donnacrichton

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 09:11:01 PM »

Sorry forgot to mention estrogen has helped a lot with anxiety unless it goes too high x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 09:15:57 PM »

donnarichton - it's early days, you need to give things 3-6 months to settle without changing doses.  DG xxx

donnacrichton

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »

Oh my in for a long road thought I was doing good getting to 5 weeks same dose lol

CherryC

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »

Hi, could I just ask about absorption of oestrogel? I have been applying to mid-inner thighs and it doesn't seem to matter how long i leave it before getting dressed, and the gel would seem to have dried/absorbed, but my jeans still stick to my legs. Anyone else find this? Do you think I am not absorbing it very well? I have also tried the upper outer arms and find the same thing. Any advice please?

Liz

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 06:00:40 PM »

I have exactly the same thing, especially when I increased the dose.  I wait a good 10-15 minutes before putting jeans on and sometimes it still feels as though it's sticking.  How much are you using?

Liz

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »

Hi, could I just ask about absorption of oestrogel? I have been applying to mid-inner thighs and it doesn't seem to matter how long i leave it before getting dressed, and the gel would seem to have dried/absorbed, but my jeans still stick to my legs. Anyone else find this? Do you think I am not absorbing it very well? I have also tried the upper outer arms and find the same thing. Any advice please?

Been reading your previous posts, CherryC and seems we are experiencing very similar things.  I'm 47 and peri and on the same HRT regime as you.  Would be great to share experiences any time you fancy a chat.

Cassie

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

I have been using it for over 10 yrs I alternate legs inner thighs or calfs, always rubbed in slowly and deeply and let dry a few seconds, then into bed so nice and warm, to soak in. It should be used every single day of the month not for only 3 weeks, if you use at night you can apply the self tan in the morning and no problems. Always use progesterone, something like Utrogestan 100mg for min 12 days  per mth works well if your Dr will allow you to use it in this manner...enjoy your holidays.

CherryC

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »

Hi Liz, thanks for reply. I have been using 2 pumps generally, although there have been periods I have tried 3. One thing I am not sure of, I understood you just spread the gel on and leave to dry so it has time to supposedly absorb before drying. I read someone describing they actually rubbed it in. Any thoughts on that?  Yes Liz would be good to have a chat and exchange experiences...

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 07:23:59 PM »

I know some women on here rub it in, but the instructions do not say to rub in the gel - but to apply it. I interpret that is spreading it and leaving it to dry. If it meant to rub it in it would say so! I don't use oestrogen gel but I use testosterone gel and this is applied in the same way. The idea is that it is absorbed before it dries, so if rubbing it in causes it to dry or the solvent to evaporate more quickly I would suggest that less is absorbed using this method (rubbing in).

I would also not apply it to your upper body at all. Interestingly oestrogel differs from Sandrena gel in location of gel application. Sandrena only says the skin of the lower trunk of the right or left thigh, but Estrogel says "clean, dry, intact areas of skin e.g. on the arms and shoulders, or inner thighs." I would suggest there is a concentration gradient from the site of application leading away from it and therefore a possibility that if applied to the upper arms or shoulders a higher concentration of oestrogen may reach the breasts. However I have not searched for any research on this and I would be surprised that upper body application would be suggested if it were harmful. In that case though - why doesn't Sandrena also suggest upper body application is OK?

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »

I was told by the pharmacist when I first started using the gel to rub it in slowly and deeply she also said that it would be taken up on the hairs on ones legs etc, cannot remember it was a good few yrs back but I do remember her saying rub and I have always done so and never had a problem with absorbtion, so not saying it is correct but it has worked for me.... :)
Pages: 1 [2]