Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Afghan translators denied entry to the UK  (Read 8684 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Afghan translators denied entry to the UK
« on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »

A few months ago I read a small article in either the Telegraph or Guardian about Afghan translators who have been refused entry.  These are in the main men, who worked alongside our service personnel for many years in very difficult circumstances.  They liaised between our Forces with the various Tribal factions, because they speak several languages of the various regions as well as French and English.  At times these translators were able to defuse situations that could have caused yet more loss of Life.

Because serving personnel are sworn by the Official Secrets Act they are unable to speak out about the working partnership which has been left behind now that we have left Afghanistan to fend for herself; about how they fear for the safety of those men who worked closely in order to keep the area stable.  The Taliban are again moving in and it will be known who these translators are. 

The Government has never issued a statement about why we cannot accept these workers ion the UK under the Asylum Scheme  :-\ ….. of course there will be family members to consider, after all who wants to leave loved ones behind. 

If I kept every article that upsets me I would have 1 room full of newsprint and of course, would never be able to find the specific piece  ::)