Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Superfoods  (Read 11366 times)

SadLynda

Re: Superfoods
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »

Perhaps I need more oats ::) ;D

ME TOO ;)

Aloe Vera juice sounds good too, wonder what else it is good for? must investigate.  though I recall it is not the cheapest option.  My friend bought me a plant for the kitchen many moons ago, of course I killed it as plants are not so good around me, but she has one in her's for burns.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 09:12:03 PM »

Aloe Vera juice tastes FOUL apparently >holds nose<

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

Actually it's not unpleasant at all and doesn't taste of that much. I used to take it for my tummy years ago and it was fine.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »

My friend [as above] had a job swallowing it  :-X ……. he only continued because it was working. 

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »

For a time we (well the husband really) had a tendency to jump on any new way of thinking regarding nutrition.  I got sick and tired of always analyzing what we were putting into our mouths.  We have now come to the conclusion that all the propaganda is just too stressful and the government and media need to credit people with some common sense.  those who are consuming a high sugar diet with a love of fizzy pop are probably not even watching these programmes and if they are it doesn't mean they will roll over and comply.

A varied, balanced diet served with a large dollop of common sense is how we used to eat and we are going back to that mindset as we are not overweight, do not have high blood pressure or cholesterol and neither of us have had a filling in years.

SadLynda

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »

looked up the aloe vera, its very pricey for continued use.

BJ  - you are quite right 'if' all is well.  I have a belly I would love to shift, and the DH has an every growing what looks like 'beer belly' but he doesnt drink, so we really do need to sort something.  We do try to eat sensibly though, but lack the will power to stay off the nicer things though do have them as treats as opposed to daily diet.  Having said that, I cant get him off fizzy drinks as he likes them, or the amount of coffee he drinks.

We eat healthy meals most of the time, but last night did have a 'chinese' meal as he wasnt sure what time he would be in.

I dont go for 'food fads' btw, just listening to what my yoga/acupuncture man is suggesting and he looks pretty good on it as does his lovely wife.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »

DH has a beer belly - literally! if he cut out alcohol he would lose the belly  >:( but when I mutter he comes back at me with 'it's paid for' what ever that means  :-X

I often fancy foods.  I often go off foods that I've eaten for months.  Being a recovering anorexic = panic attacks I have to eat what I fancy when I fancy it.  If it's not 'good' for me then so what  ::) …….. there are foods that I've cut out in recent years, i.e. chocolate, because it makes my body sluggish.

We are picking bilberries, late fruiting raspberries, apples and plums from our garden  :-* …….. DH makes his own bread which is great slathered with marmalade when still warm  :P

SadLynda

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »

Is he from Yorkshire? my ex used to say that, he put on a stack of weight at about age 28 which used to worry me, and he drank too much that is what he would say too.  Current DH says it with a laugh to wind me up.

I really must get back to making my own bread, used to enjoy that.

Dulciana

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »

I tend to go a bit super-food-y on Sunday evenings - a boiled egg (in my nice little ceramic egg cup that has a saucer round it for the spoon and bits of shell), and muesli in orange juice.    It's like breakfast, really!   :)

I've just had oatcakes with cheese as part of my lunch and yes, there is definitely something calming about these wonderful little grains.   I believe they used to eat lots and lots of oatcakes (home-made ones!) in the Highlands, before the clearances, because they were cheap, available and sustaining.   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:29:01 PM by Dulciana »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »

I'm afraid I don't buy in to this super foods theory.  My Dad ate what he liked and lived to 85 and never went inside a hospital until he was over 80.  My Mum is now 91 and still going strong. 

I worked with elderly people for nearly 20 years so they were the same generation as my own parents and they all ate similar diets.... Not a superfood in sight! ;D ;D

They were brought up on cheap cuts of meat, dripping, lard, Yorkshire puddings, suet puddings, full fat milk etc.  Most people grew their own veg and some seasonal fruits and obviously there weren't all the sweets, crisps and snacks that there are now. 

My Mum made me laugh at the weekend ...... I'd just taken her shopping and we sat eating lunch at mine.  We somehow all got onto the subject of food, diets etc. and she said "of course I never eat sugar."   I reminded her that in her shopping was a large box of Jaffa cakes, 10 brioche rolls, 2 doughnuts, a box of mini muffins, a packet of biscuits, a cherry pie and 8 packets of Caramel SnackaJacks ;D ;D

someone mentioned chinese medicine etc earlier .... A few years ago I went to a herbalist to get something for terrible hot flushes.  I had the consultation and came away with a concoction in a bottle.  It was like something you'd find down your drain and tasted horrendous.  It did no good whatsoever and I paid about £50 for the privilege.  He wasn't chinese by the way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:50:50 PM by Pennyfarthing »

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »

Oh - hot toast with pork dripping  :-* but only when I fancy it  ;D

I think too that people walked more.  Certainly my grandparents used their car when necessary, my parents cycled or walked ….. so we burnt off calories in a different way to how we do now  :-\

I found 3 very large bilberries on a very small neglected plant earlier, gave them to DH as a treat  ;) [and nope, we are not from Yorkshire]

GeordieGirl

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 07:36:18 PM »

We have now come to the conclusion that all the propaganda is just too stressful and the government and media need to credit people with some common sense.  those who are consuming a high sugar diet with a love of fizzy pop are probably not even watching these programmes and if they are it doesn't mean they will roll over and comply.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/11/poor-diet-biggest-contributor-early-deaths-world-study

It's much more stressful being diagnosed with cancer than changing your diet (trust me on that one). Diet is now the biggest contributor to early deaths, and second only to tobacco in causing cancer.  Not propaganda, but fact unfortunately and not something that is taken on board by Great Britain PLC, who in general fill their supermarket trolleys with food in boxes and with little nutritional value.

I'm afraid I don't buy in to this super foods theory.  My Dad ate what he liked and lived to 85 and never went inside a hospital until he was over 80.  My Mum is now 91 and still going strong. 

I worked with elderly people for nearly 20 years so they were the same generation as my own parents and they all ate similar diets.... Not a superfood in sight! ;D ;D

They were brought up on cheap cuts of meat, dripping, lard, Yorkshire puddings, suet puddings, full fat milk etc.  Most people grew their own veg and some seasonal fruits and obviously there weren't all the sweets, crisps and snacks that there are now. 

You've made a very valid point here PennyFarthing - food 80 years ago was so very different to what we eat now.
Meat was expensive and so generally made up no more than 15% of a diet, the rest was vegetables, fruit or grains. Animals in general were not factory farmed or loaded up with antibiotics and other drugs to keep disease at bay.  If the veg wasn't from the family's own allotment, it was usually grown locally and without the pesticides used in abundance. There was no McDonald's and families didn't fill up their freezers with boxes of 'food' that is mainly a mix of salt / sugar and additives.  Apparently an 8 year old child now has had more sugar in their lives than an average man would have in his whole life a century ago.   Even the wheat has changed, it now contains much more gliandin as the tall wheat with smaller heads has been bred out in favour of the short, stumpy variety because of better yield.

Apparently our children's generation is considered to be one of the first where life expectancy may indeed decrease - no wonder when few of them actually know what 'real food' is, and I suspect fewer even know where to start preparing a meal without using a jar or tin.

Having been diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, I chose the least invasive treatment I could find, but rejected the chemotherapy and radiation part of this and have instead used diet. I can't say it's been easy as it demanded a complete overhaul but we all feel amazing for it. I've also hooked up with a large number of people who've done the same - including people who've cured their MS, arthritis and a number who were sent home to die with terminal cancers (and are alive and very well years later). You really can't underestimate the damage our nation is doing to itself with diet and yet our NHS turns a blind eye to it all.

Sorry for the soapbox moment but this is a topic I feel extremely passionate about.

GG x

bramble

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »

Is there any tips you could share with us GG? I'm sure we would all be interested in an alternative way of healthy eating .

Bramble

peri

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »

Good post GeordieGirl x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »

Is there any tips you could share with us GG? I'm sure we would all be interested in an alternative way of healthy eating .

Bramble

Gosh, where would I start?  It takes 30 days to change a habit and because I had to do so quickly, I managed to make a lot of changes at once - under usual circumstances I'd probably 'nibble away' at these and make smaller changes and let these settle in first, together they're pretty major.

The first thing - eat more veg and fruit (two thirds veg, one third fruit). Choose organic as it won't be covered in the bad pesticides and intensively farmed so the nutritional value is low.  It may be more expensive depending on where you shop, but it's far, far better for you.   An easy way to get in more fruit and veg is to blend this into a smoothie (Nutribullets or a good blender is useful). We've simply experimented with whatever food we have around and it's usually been tasty (except for raw red cabbage, yuk!)  We aim for 10-12 fruit and veg per day, which sounds a lot but if you have a couple of smoothies, a lovely rainbow salad or a home made vegetable broth, you soon get up to that.

Cut out wheat and dairy as much as possible. I can't tell you how much better we all feel with this (there's a good website, Wheat Belly which goes into some of the reasoning behind it all).  We use buckwheat or coconut flour and now make pizza with a cauliflower base - scrummy!  We use goats' milk instead of cows, it doesn't have the casein which can irritate your system. There are some good soy yoghurts, I also found a lovely coconut yoghurt recently at only 0.5% sugar.

A lot of today's meat and fish is intensively farmed and because of the methods, large amounts of antibiotics are needed. A sick or dosed up animal fed an unnatural diet doesn't make the best food. Choose free range, organic chicken; wild rather than farmed salmon; good quality meat (though keep the red meat as a treat only).  Focus on quality not quantity. Use all of the animal - remember those broths our grandmas used to make? The bones are a good source of minerals so use these afterwards in a soup for maximum goodness.

Cut out sugar and (worse) artificial sweeteners. This was the hardest part for me as I have such a sweet tooth, but the less I have, the less I crave and now I'm getting very close to the point of finding it a turn off.  Limit yourself to a spoonful or two of honey instead, and use fruit to sweeten - apple, pear, kiwi etc work well. Cinnamon too.

If it's got a label on it, the chances are you shouldn't be eating it. If it has a label on it with ingredients you don't recognise, you can pretty much guarantee that's the case.  Real food doesn't come in boxes - and one look at the stuff that does will show you the high levels of salt and sugar used.

Cut out table salt, use herbs and spices instead for flavouring. If you must use salt, choose Himalayan Pink Rock Salt which has a better array of minerals.

Don't fall for the cereals and foods that boast "high in vitamins" or any other marketing hype - if you check the labels you'll find that they're often very high in stuff you shouldn't be eating too.

Drink water - plenty of it.

Eat fermented food or use a good probiotic (not the cheap supermarket yoghurts that are sugar laden).

There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of websites with fabulous recipes. My most recent find is http://deliciouslyella.com/, (again someone who has healed a condition with diet) and she has recently launched a cookbook.  We've recently made a lovely chocolate orange cheesecake with no sugar, gluten or dairy and it was absolutely fabulous.

It HAS meant a huge change in our eating habits, we eat a lot more raw food now and cook from scratch, but it's been worth it. Food tastes so much better when it's home cooked, and we feel so much better for it too. The microwave has been ditched completely and I threw out most of our tins and boxes (with the exception of gluten free crackers). I will cook and freeze food so we have some 'quick fixes' if the girls want a quick-fix, warm meal.

I bet you wish you'd never asked? :-)

GG x

Pages: 1 [2] 3