Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Superfoods  (Read 11365 times)

SadLynda

Superfoods
« on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:02 PM »

hope its okay to start this here, suppose I will find out soon enough :)

Whilst I await tests and my new patient check etc I am visiting a super acupuncture guy, he is also my yoga instructor so it was quite difficult to tell him about my hormones but I managed and he is being great, more supportive than anyone else infact (aside from you lot of course).  He is a big fan of chinese medicine and natural remedies so has suggested some changes.

I had already stopped my daily coffee, but he had me stop the two cups of tea too - no caffine.  Also include Avacado  :sick02:(which I force feed myself), oatmeal, walnuts, blueberries and green veggies by the bucket.  Too early to see if this will help with my anxiety yet of course.

We also chatted on another topic about how important it is to eat regularly to help with our health issues.  I am eating every few hours now, but no more food than usual just spreading it out.

wondered if anyone else has thoughts on superfoods and diet.

peri

Re: Superfoods
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »

Hi Lynda i try and do this and it definitely helps, my problem is I fall off the wagon (usually most weekends) and eat takeaways, chocolate, wine etc, so you've got to be very disciplined.  When I do stick to it though I do feel the benefit  :)

bramble

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »

Having just watched Jamie O programme on sugar, I am horrified about the amount of sugar there is in what you would deem healthyish foods - fruit juice, cereal etc. I shall be reading labels much closer from now on. I have to confess though that I do like chocolate so trying to keep to 1 choc biscuit a day - but it is hard! Very impressed with the school featured that taught all kids to cook .
Currently eating a lot of fruit since I bought my Nutribullet..........not cheap though. I do tend to go through phases though when I do eat ultra healthy and then it falls to the wayside until I start again. I don't eat a lot of processed food - normally eat a lot of salads and cook from scratch. (says the woman who had a slice of choc cake for breakfast! - birthday treat!!).
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »

The Jury has been 'out' on super foods for 30+ years  ::) - it is very fashionable to suggest that i.e. bilberries are good, then it was goji berries, this Summer it's been strawberries  ::).  Caffeine can cause some people to feel hyped up but it has never affected me other than coffee makes me queasy so I stopped drinking it.  I have several cups of black T with 2 sugars each day, plus an evening chocolate milkshake with which to swallow my meds..

What are you drinking instead?  Fruit has sugar in ……….. if you don't like a fruit then don't eat it, because it isn't doing you any good!  There has never been any Papers regarding tests with so called super foods …….. there needs to be a double blind study and it would be so difficult to ensure that all participants eat exactly the same diets through the tests.

A little of what you fancy  ;)  plus exercise.  We are hunter gatherers after all.

thinking of which - what foods are actually English: apples, pears, plums, greengages, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, bl/whi/red currants; walnuts; most other fruits have arrived on UK shores in more recent years so suddenly they become a 'super' food  :-\ ……….. peas, beans, cabbage family, celery all home grown; sweet corn imported. 

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:16:40 PM »

Interesting view points.  Must add there is no way I could stick to this 'goody goody' eating all of the time, no I really should not eat chocolate or ice cream or crisps, but I do.  I drink a lot of water now, have done for a while, and after a lot of trial and error found some herbal tea's I like (checking for caffine content).  I also have lemon and raw honey morning and night.

despite my best efforts this evening I doubt cabbage is going to be around for long.  Sprouts and brocolli I can cope with but not cabbage, I tried.  One last attempt tomorrow with the savoy, that might be nicer.

CLKD - cant believe I missed Strawberries were good for us this year, darn it :o

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »

We grew up on fresh fruits and veg. because everyone had a garden or access to a farm.  It was never far to go to the Market 2/3 times a week in the towns.  Fresh fish, eggs, poultry, game and a butcher across the street. 

Dad grew rows and rows of peas, runners and broad beans.  Spuds and fruit trees were planted.  Butcher, baker, milk man visited weekly.  Raspberry canes and strawberries were a large part of Dad's garden.

I love cauliflower but can no longer tolerate it.  Love Brussels; boiled briefly with lots of black pepper and butter.  Spuds.

purplenanny

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »

Mmmmm..sprouts.....love 'em!

PN x x

Dyan

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 06:32:20 PM »

Good thread :)

Spuds! Love em! & sprouts especially with bread sauce.

I try and eat blueberries every morning on my cereal because they are meant to be good for your brain. Don't know if they're working though  :D  :-\ ;D

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »

Kale kale and more kale. It's the new superfood. Guess what I've been growing...yep kale.
Now what to do with it. Daughter has smoothied it.....bright green and yuk.

I've steamed it, crisped it and boiled it......and it's getting boring now. It's spinach only crunchier.

I do quite like it but if like me you suffer from wind then have in small quantities because ....oh my goodness  :wub:

Now, what to do with all the kale that continues to grow in profusion. I could start a small shop.

Honeybun
X

SadLynda

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »

post some to me HB ;)

found a new nice drink too, Yogi herbal 'bedtime' tea - very nice, and I only got up twice.  Might try more of these tea's.

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »

If I snack between meals, I find the most sustaining are the oat-y ones.  Flapjacks, oatcakes, muesli and oaty snack bars all help to keep me going and - interestingly - to feel less hormonal.   But if I need something driving back from trudging round the supermarket, Snickers bars - against a background of soothing jazz - win hands down..... ::)   (Shame!)

bramble

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »

Does anyone remember when aloe juice was the superfood of the day? That must have been in the eighties?

Bramble

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »

Yes and I bought some.  Bit of a non-event...... ???

Dyan

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »

Perhaps I need more oats ::) ;D

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »

Oats are calming.  Naturally because it is a slow release food  ::)

Aloe vera does help - again naturally used in native communities, a plant on the windowsill, snapped and applied to burns for example is cooling.  My friend had osteo arthritis so badly that by 35 he was wheelchair bound, until advised to drink aloe vera juice  :sick02: - after 18/19 months he was well enough to walk and after 2 years was almost pain free.  Drinking it down though was really difficult and had he not felt improvement he would have bi-passed the middle man  ;D

Pages: [1] 2 3