Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Marena coil  (Read 2090 times)

Sphere27

Marena coil
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »

Hi
A question on behalf of a friend. She has had coil in for 7 years. GP gave her oestrogen only hrt. She is 52 and wondered would the coil still be releasing enough progesterone after 7 years?
Thanks ladies x

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
Re: Marena coil
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »

Mirena will still be OK at this stage for contraception but it can only be used for the progestogen part of HRT for 5 years, it can not be relied on after that to provide enough progestogen to protect the womb lining from being stimulated by the estrogen. Therefore, either the Mirena should be changed for a new Mirena and continue estrogen only HRT, or the HRT should contain both estrogen and progestogen.
I hope this is helpful
This is an important point. Would anyone mind if we include a version of this in the next issue of Menopause Matters magazine?
Best wishes
Heather

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »

It sounds a good idea to me.

Taz x

Pollie

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »

Mirena is only licenced for use for 4 years as an oestrogen opposer during HRT use. Please don't get this bit wrong if you are giving advice in a magazine....

In fact sphere27 I would suggest that your friend goes back to her GP practice and ask them to raise an incident report. Prescribing Unopposed oestrogen is a very serious matter as it increases the risk of endometrial cancer. Whilst it may seem trivial  - if your friend was  given repeat prescriptions  for 10 years it could be a very different matter. It happens. Women have got  endometrial cancer in the past because GPs have done this.

Negligence springs to mind.

Pollie

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »

While it is licensed for 4 years for this purpose, it is recommended that it can be used for 5 years.
It is incorrect to rely on it for more than 5 years for the progestogen part of HRT.
Best wishes
Heather

Sphere27

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 08:22:10 PM »

Thank you very much .
Will pass this onto my friend.

Sphere27

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:01:38 PM »

Yes should be brought up in magazine if this is happening. Was only when she mentioned it
To me I thought didn't sound right. She had no idea.
X