Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: There might just be a reason I broke my ankle..........  (Read 5881 times)

Katejo

Re: There might just be a reason I broke my ankle..........
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »

It could be Limpy...but then again it might not.

Dulciana for one went over on her ankle and ended up with a broken bone.

Don't get ahead of yourself yet. It takes a long long while before medication will have such an effect on your bones.
My sis has been taking steroids for 40 odd years due to pituitary issues. Her bones are okay ish.

Wait unit you have actually had a scan before you have yourself with osteoporosis .

Now after the lecture have    :bighug:

It's understandable you are worried.

Honeybun
X

I replied yesterday but it seems not to have appeared. I have been taking Tegretol for nearly 40 years. I had a bone density scan last December and it was fine so I haven't worried about osteoporosis too much re. my recent wrist fracture

Limpy

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

Don't get ahead of yourself yet. It takes a long long while before medication will have such an effect on your bones.
My sis has been taking steroids for 40 odd years due to pituitary issues. Her bones are okay ish.

Wait unit you have actually had a scan before you have yourself with osteoporosis .

Honeybun
X

I replied yesterday but it seems not to have appeared. I have been taking Tegretol for nearly 40 years. I had a bone density scan last December and it was fine so I haven't worried about osteoporosis too much re. my recent wrist fracture

Hi Katejo - Thanks for your reply.
It did appear yesterday - the gods of the cyber world are still smiling on us all!

I'me just a bit concerned about bone density at the moment given I've broken my ankle and had no idea I'd done it  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »

What's the Tegretel for  :-\ ……….

Limpy

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »

I think Tegretel is an anti epileplic drug - Katejo takes that.
I use Gabapentin, another anti epileptic drug which is often used for control of neuropathic pain.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »

When I had trigenimal neuralgia the GP tried amitriptalen which did zilch  :-\ …..

Katejo

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »

I think Tegretel is an anti epileplic drug - Katejo takes that.
I use Gabapentin, another anti epileptic drug which is often used for control of neuropathic pain.

Yes that is right. I am completely seizure free after surgery when I was 16 but still take the medication. Previously also took phenytoin but that was phased out more than 10 years ago.

Katejo

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »

Honeybun
X

Hi Katejo - Thanks for your reply.
It did appear yesterday - the gods of the cyber world are still smiling on us all!

I'me just a bit concerned about bone density at the moment given I've broken my ankle and had no idea I'd done it  ::)
I understand your concern but hope that it isn't a bone density issue. :)

Limpy

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »

Well, the ankle started to hurt more last night and woke me up this morning. We decided that perhaps crutches would be a good idea so rang the MIU. No problem they said just come along. Arrived there, was recognised by receptionist (who I only met last Tuesday) and was seen within 10 minutes. While the nurse was looking at my notes there was a minor hiccup when she said it's a soft tissue injury  :-\ when I picked my mouth up of the ground and finished squawking she went away to check on what was going on.

She came back with an appointment for the fracture clinic and a very nice Charge nurse who sorted me out with crutches which help so much   :)

Ladies life has improved   8)

OH is currently drafting an email to the health board praising the local hospital. The first radiographer who suggested popping along to the MIU was an absolute star along with those who helped me within the MIU. They could so easily dismissed it as a soft tissue injury.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »

That's good!  Some fractures are simply difficult to see except with a practiced eye  ;)

Keep it elevated!

Limpy

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »

Thanks CLKD     :thankyou:
The Dr in the MIU last Tuesday was a Consultant - I think he may have had his "eye" in
As I type the leg is up again
It's hard, I feel I should be doing things.........   :-\

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 08:07:45 PM »

You will be back doing things before you know it and then wishing you could have a sit down and put your feet up.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 08:48:15 PM »

I never find it hard to sit still - occasionally my mind flitters to stuff that requires doing  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »

Had the 2nd visit to the Fracture clinic this morning - very different opinions expressed by THE SAME DR

Went in, was seen on time, first comment I got from Dr "it wasn't a definite break" oh and lets not forget "well soft tissue injuries take time to heal" He prodded it which wasn't nice which I mentoned, so then got the soft tissue bit again.

Fair enough, I then said it would be useful to see an xray so I can see how the bone is healing. Dr, giggling, "well you won't be happy till you get the xray will you? We, well me and OH, point out, I didn't know I'd broken or damaged anything, I'd like to check what's going on. Dr, "Are you on medication?"  Me "yes, HRT and Gabapentin" Dr "Er why are you taking Gabapentin?" Me "For Neuropathic MS related pain" Dr "You've got MS?"  Me "Yes, like I said last time"

Got sent for xray, I described the first bit of the conversation to the young radiographer and mentioned that my ankle was sore after examination and asked was there anything anything obvious on the xray. Oh yes, the break is healing but is very clear.......

Troll back to FC - See same Dr again who is so so nice. He says the break is healing, and mentions my "complex medical sutuation. We agree that I start weaning myself off the moon boot and start exercising again - if it hurts while exercising stop, he will refer me for physio, We then look at todays xray - the quality was so much better than the first xrays I had done a month ago. The break is very obvious, as apparently is the osteoporosis in the ankle area, he will refer again to the osteoporosis unit and I will ring to see when I can be seen.

Eventually all was useful - BUT el Dr was initially very keen on getting me out of the door.

Sorry for the rant ladies

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 03:08:18 PM »

::) ……. always insist on a 2nd X-ray which will show definite signs of healing at any fracture site should there be one  ;).  Often 1st immediate X-rays don't show or are not clear if there is/not a break  ::)

Did he advise on which type of exercise?  Maybe self refer to physio.?
Pages: 1 [2]