Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: There might just be a reason I broke my ankle..........  (Read 5880 times)

Limpy

There might just be a reason I broke my ankle..........
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »

Background to this rant - I found on Tuesday the reason my ankle has been hurting for the last 3 weeks is because it's broken.

So,  I got to wondering if the reason my it broke (without me knowing) could possibly be I have thinning bones. So I was looking to see if there was any way I could arrange a bone density scan locally, no chance........  :o

Anyway, I take Gabapentin (an anti epileptic drug) to relieve MS related neuropathic pain and migraines. It occurred to me to see if there was a link to bone thinning. There are anecdotal links saying the older anti-epileptic drugs do cause bone thinning but not Gabapentin directly. However, Gabapentin is said to cause problems in the uptake of vitamin D perhaps there may be a Gabapentin link to thinning bones.

Anyway, ankle still hurting, even with keeping it up. I'm still waiting to hear from the fracture clinic  :-\
I have an audience arranged with good GP on 14th Sep, to see her before that I'll have to ring at 8am each day next week to sort out another appointment  :-\

In the meantime I'me going to slowly cut down on the Gabapentin.............

honeybun

Re: There might just be a reason I broke my ankle..........
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »

It could be Limpy...but then again it might not.

Dulciana for one went over on her ankle and ended up with a broken bone.

Don't get ahead of yourself yet. It takes a long long while before medication will have such an effect on your bones.
My sis has been taking steroids for 40 odd years due to pituitary issues. Her bones are okay ish.

Wait unit you have actually had a scan before you have yourself with osteoporosis .

Now after the lecture have    :bighug:

It's understandable you are worried.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »

Aw thank s HB  :thankyou:

The thing I'me worried about is I don't do much weight bearing exercise - I swim yes, but not a lot else.
When I spoke to the GP on Tuesday evening and asked about getting a bone scan she thought it was unlikely. Given a fracture "they" would put me on calcium straight away, I mightn't even get the chance of a bone scan - hey ho  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:44:18 PM »

I really don't know how much a private scan would cost...but you could always have a look.

My sis takes a calcium tablet with Vit D daily. She has had a couple of Dexa Scans in the last forty years. Cortisone is renown for causing bone problems but like you she has no choice in her medication....

Just don't get ahead of yourself quite yet. All meds have side effects...but for my sister there is no choice ...meds or die.

You have your quality of life to think of and if needs be a calcium tablet to chew each day is not so bad.

Now get that hubby of yours to bring you a large glass of something alcoholic....and relax.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:59:38 PM »

I sort of made enquiries today about a private scan, they just don't do them anywhere locally, NHS yes private no  :-\

Hopefully I'll find a way........  ::)

I am currently taking a daily tablet of D3 with calcium. Mind you till 4 years ago it was supposed to be 2 tablets a day then they cut it back, something about too much calcium being risky.

OH has been amazing today, so usefully helpful - Funnily enough he did bring me a glass of something alcoholic a wee while ago..............   8)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:51 PM »

A scan on the pelvis should be available  :-\ regardless of your current ankle fracture.  In the early hours, i.e. 5.40 a.m., I did wonder about bone thinning ……

Can't understand why you aren't able to get a private scan of the pelvis at your local hospital privately: it's likely to be the same Radiographer after all  ::) ….. you should not have to pay though.

Have a look on the osteoporosis web-site?

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »

Oh good idea CLKD.

When my mother was having silent spine fractures the osteoporosis society were very helpful.

Honeybun
X

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:38:51 PM »

Background to this rant - I found on Tuesday the reason my ankle has been hurting for the last 3 weeks is because it's broken.

So,  I got to wondering if the reason my it broke (without me knowing) could possibly be I have thinning bones. So I was looking to see if there was any way I could arrange a bone density scan locally, no chance........  :o

Anyway, I take Gabapentin (an anti epileptic drug) to relieve MS related neuropathic pain and migraines. It occurred to me to see if there was a link to bone thinning. There are anecdotal links saying the older anti-epileptic drugs do cause bone thinning but not Gabapentin directly. However, Gabapentin is said to cause problems in the uptake of vitamin D perhaps there may be a Gabapentin link to thinning bones.

Anyway, ankle still hurting, even with keeping it up. I'm still waiting to hear from the fracture clinic  :-\
I have an audience arranged with good GP on 14th Sep, to see her before that I'll have to ring at 8am each day next week to sort out another appointment  :-\

In the meantime I'me going to slowly cut down on the Gabapentin.............

I have been taking Tegretol (also a risk of bone thinning) since I was 15. I had a bone density scan at 40 and another last December. Both were ok. Sorry to hear about the ankle.

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 08:42:37 PM »

Thanks ladies  :thankyou:

Off for a look.......

Thanks Katejo    :thankyou:

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »

I actually called them Limpy and they were incredibly helpful and so nice.

They sent me loads of information and gave us loads of advice re mums problems.

Have a look for a number and give them a call in the morning.

Let us know.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03:17 PM »

Thanks HB - I'll check for a number.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »

R U able to explain why are you still taking Tegretol ? "Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Tegretol can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with Tegretol and lead to unwanted side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. ……. "

I had Dexa scans every 2 years on my ankles via Private Health Insurance - for about 5 years ……. told to up my diet overall what ever that meant as we already ate healthily …..

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »

CLKD - I've been taking Gabapentin to deal with neuropathic pain. As it happens I've been reducing the dose anyway - It sounds as if that may be a good idea, will discuss fully with GP on the 14th

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »

My husband had a private DEXA scan 7 years ago because he was refused one on the NHS because he was a 47 year old male and not at risk.  The results showed he was already osteoporotic and is now under a good consultant (initially privately and then dropped into same consultant' NHS clinic).  It is a family joke that my husband is under a consultant gynaecologist  :)

Anyway it didn't break the bank, it cost £180 7 years ago.

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »

Thanks BJ
Pages: [1] 2