Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2520 times)

renee

Advice please
« on: September 03, 2015, 05:52:35 PM »

Im currently taking femoston 2/10. It's supposed to give me a period after stopping a pack then starting another. Iv been on it for about 6 months and god the last 4 months Iv had a period a week before the end of a pack but this month I was only 2 weeks into the pack and started a 2 day brownish/red discharge then it stopped. I have 2 tablets left before I start a new pack but thinking of stopping it after taking the 2 tabs.

I have my Doc on Monday as Iv been on HRT (different kinds) for over 4 years now and I'm not sure what's happening with my progression of the menopause.

Is it ok just yo stop this HRT or should I go down to the 1/10 first?

Thanks for any advice xxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »

You probably need a scan - you may have a thickening of the womb lining or fibroids so this should be checked.
HAve you thought of having a Mirena?  - this will often sort out any problematic bleeding.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:31:54 PM »

Hi renee

I wouldn't just stop the HRT unless your doc has advised this for medical reasons. If you are peri-menopausal then your own hormones can breakthrough and cause intermittent spotting or bleeding but of course you are right to check with the doctor. With combined HRT there is a fixed amount of oestrogen and progestogen so sometimes the ratio is not quite right for an individual and especially at certain points on our menopausal journey!

If the doc decides to investigate and all is OK then great advice from Dancinggirl that perhaps a Mirena would help?

Hurdity x

renee

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »

Dancing girl, I had a scan last year and I have numerous fibroids and a thickening of the womb.

The fibroids were small so I was told just to keep an eye on things but since then I have started femoston 2/10 so I'm a bit confused if it's my fibroids that's causing the early bleeds, my normal period coming through or Iv just not settled well on the femoston 2/10. I was originally on 1/10 but got no periods at all on them.

I have 2 tabs left for fri and sat but doc app is Monday so unsure to start another pack on the Sunday incase I have to come off of them anyway.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »

As Hurdity explained, maybe the Femoston is not giving you the correct ratio that keeps the erratic bleeding under control - I'd discuss this with the doctor.  If you already had thickening and fibroids then this could explain the bleeding.  A Mirena might a good idea as I believe this can often shrink fibroids and keeps the womb lining thin. If you had the Mirena you could then add as little or as much oestrogen as you need to keep meno symptoms under control. I would keep taking your tablets until you see the doctor.
I did read somewhere that the kinder progesterones like Dydrogesterone (which is in Femoston) and Utrogestan are not as powerful as the more synthetic progesterones that are in many other HRT preparations, therefore they are not as good at controlling or maintaining a good cycle and problematic bleeding can sometimes be a side effect.
I wouldn't worry about all this at eh moment - just discuss it with your doctor.  DG x

renee

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »

Thanks for that info dancing girl....it's good advice. I will speak to my doc on Monday about Mirena which I think is a coil, isn't it?

Thank you ❤️

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »

Yes, the Mirena is a type of coil but not like the old fashioned sort.  It actually has progesterone in it which slowly releases over about 4 years to keep the womb lining thin. Once you have this in place you just need to add some oestrogen in pill, patch or gel form. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 07:55:55 PM »

I know what you mean about the fibroids renee because I had a hysteroscopy a couple of years ago because of problematic spotting (not cycle related) on HRT and they found a small one. Gynae said it was OK because just under 1 cm I think and was happy for me to continue HRT - but like you I am on a cycle - a long one of 6-8 weeks and last cycle I had an early bleed so a bit worried that it might have grown. I know I will speak to the GP again if I get another early bleed.

Anyway good luck with the doc and let us know how you get on!

Hurdity  :) x