Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orchids  (Read 7655 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Orchids
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »

We have kept moth [phalenopsis] orchids for years, at one time we had 17 in the dining room.  The thought is that they need very little watering and always from the top.  I use collected rain water, put the pot into a deep bowl and soak for 15-30 mins..  Drain well. Put back onto saucer.  Feed occasionally. I have tried putting them outdoors in the Summer but the slugs get them  >:(!

The other types of orchids need similar care.  But need a LOT more feeding [when I remember the name *  ::) ]. 

Orchids are epiphytites i.e. they grow in the air, anchored to a tree in the canopy - therefore getting their watering from all around from the atmosphere hence the long root systems.  Except the * which apparently grow in the Himalaya - in the ground and in deep snow!  :o

They don't need compost, bark or even a pot but in the home we are unable to replicate 'natural' conditions.  Using fresh bark around the root system helps.

Once they have stopped flowering and the flowers have died and dropped off is the time to cut back the stem: if there are growing nodules cut just above 1, if not go back to the root and cut the stem which encourages new growth.

ellie

Re: Orchids
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:10:48 PM »

Snap CKLD I also love Orchids. I water mine with boiled tap water or rain water. I have six at the moment, four in flower and two resting.  I think a lot of people give up on them once they finish flowering, because they dontlook very pretty when not flowering.........

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »

Can't remember the various types though  :-\ - need to get a book off the shelf

Have you ever had one that is perfumed?

ellie

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

Yes , very perfumed....bought at flower show, but Carnt remember it's name at the moment as we are away.... Smells vanilery......

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »

The 1 that we had was pale yellow and smelt of citrus: every morning at 10.00 a.m. it would exude a perfume  :-*
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:04:18 PM by CLKD »

purplenanny

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »

I have a purple (well I would wouldn't I ;)) just dropping its flowers now.

CLKD - which node do I cut back to, how far down the stem. I would like to encourage another stem to grow as I only have the one

I love orchids. We went to the orchid house in Kirkenhoff (sp?), Holland, many many years ago now, it was absolutely amazing how many types there were from tiny little heads to huge enormous ones. It was stunning!

Great topic

PN x x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »

Very timely post CLKD. I was given orchid as a present recently & flowers have all dropped now. So away to cut back stems. Thank you.

ellie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »

I cut to just above the second bud with a sharp knife......

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »

How long is the stem?  I usually leave 2 buds from the root stock and see what happens.

purplenanny

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »

Stem is about 12 inches long with 10 nodes

PN x x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 08:34:50 PM »

Is it essential to water with boiled or rain water or is that for hard water areas.
I'm in a very soft water area.
I'm always confused as to how far back to cut. I'm on a second flowering but there are no new buds at the moment so how far back down the stem to I go to encourage new growth.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »

The man today never mentioned boiled water.  Suggested using rain water only with occasional feeding.  We live in a Very Hard Area  >:( ……… misting is important it seems.  We now have a mister with feed plus lavender to discourage beasties [mealy bug etc.].

Honeybun - cut immediately above 'soil' level. Once orchids have flowered they often go dormant to regain strength.  Keep moth orchids out of direct sunshine but not on a North facing windowsill.  They like light and bright but in the wild would grow immediately below the canopy.

ellie

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »

I have always used cooled boiled water and use that to mist with, and cut mine down to the second node.....I then stop watering and put them somwhere cool to rest.... After a few weeks I keep looking for any bed buds, and then start to water a little........best to water in the morning, and never never leave them standing in water.....

star35

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 07:50:03 AM »

My daughter has had one for about 18 months now, it has only flowered the once.we have been doing what you all say as regards the watering but what else do we need to do as regards getting it to flower. It is definitely still alive.

ellie

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 09:10:20 AM »

Move it to a brighter place but not in the sun, start to water again.......The best way, is to give the roots a good spraying from the top, as if it's having a shower of rain.......
Pages: [1] 2