Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT - Pill, patch or gel ?? Experiences please...  (Read 5164 times)

Pollie

HRT - Pill, patch or gel ?? Experiences please...
« on: September 02, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »

I started on pill and when I kept spotting because I forgot to take them (meno brain) I asked for patch.

Had both 1 x weekly and 2 x weekly and they have been ok but often don't stick well and I wonder about absorption levels when they look tatty round the edges ...

Soooo I am thinking I might try gel. Will I remember to use it  ?  ???

Which do you use and why ?? Was it yours or your docs choice ?

jellybaby

Re: HRT - Pill, patch or gel ?? Experiences please...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »

Hi Pollie, not sure how old you are or even if it matters, but I started a few months ago on a daily squirt (0.75mg of estradiol (the brand name is Oestrodose) plus a daily progesterone ( 100mg) tablet as still have my womb.
They are easy to remember to take as I do the gel  in the morning when i'm dressing and the tab at night before sleep. I got these via the Gynaeendocrine Consultant at the Menopause Clinic locally. I wouldn't trust my GP with menopause stuff as one of the docs suggested I put the same gel in a plunger and insert vaginally(!!) and i'd recommend everyone to go to their local menopause clinic as they are much more  informed than GPs. I had to insist the GP referred me but they were happy to do that.
The gel has made a massive difference; can now sleep, don't feel odd in my head, less forgetful, more libido ( hooray!), much more energy.
But i think I benefitted from the expertise of the consultant and got the right mix for me. he is great and you get brilliant follow ups as well as general menopause info .
Hope this helps

Suzyq

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »

I started with gel and never got on with it! Terrible problems with absorption despite all efforts - switched to estradot - stick well and happy as a clam. How are your symptoms? If they are controlled I wouldn't mess about changing ...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »

Hi Polly
Are you just using oestrogen? If so I assume you have had a hysterectomy?
jellybaby - are you in the UK?  I don't think there is Oestrodose here in the UK.  Oestrogel is the one most used here in the UK and it isn't used vaginally.  You can get local oestrogen for vaginal atrophy but this is very low dose and won't treat full meno symptoms.
I have used Oestrogel for many years.  You need to remember to use it every day.  It needs to be applied to clean dry skin - either to arms or inner thighs - I always put it no my inner thighs. You can control the amount you need to use which is great - just start with one pump per day and after a few weeks if you feel the flushes etc aren't under control you just increase this to 2 pumps per day.
Less is needed as it is generally a better way to absorb the oestrogen. Some women do seem to have issue with absorption but pills and patches can also give problems - nothing is perfect.
I've always liked the gel, so do try it and see how you get on.  If you get into a routine of always having a shower at night and then applying it afterwards, then it shouldn't be a problem to remember - simply have the tube next to your face moisturiser so you don't' forget!!!?  DG x