Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: High iron  (Read 2810 times)

Cthrnstowe

High iron
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »

Been the the doctors today, had my results abdomen scan was fine, the blood results I had have come back, my iron levels are high,now need another blood test, could this be caused by the menopause xx

mandy43

Re: High iron
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »

Are you taking a multi vit with added iron?  If you already have a diet high in iron, such as lots of dark leafy veg, then you may be getting too much.  I know when I am getting too much iron as my stools are darker (tmi)  As for it being a part of meno, I think it's the other way for most women and they are lacking iron.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »

I think that the body stores iron? and doesn't discharge it as with other minerals? 

Are you hyped up?  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »

One of my cousins has Haemochromatosis.

If you have a look at the NHS website it explains the causes and treatments. It's a very treatable condition so I wouldn't worry too much.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »

:thankyou:

Spangles

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »

My mum also has haemochromatosis, the treatment is simple blood letting as and when needed.
xXx

Smokey

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 12:24:22 PM »

I'm always low, now on two iron tablets a day at the moment,

As you can be low in iron maybe you can be high too, not sure though

Smokey x

Briony

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »

When all my symptoms first started, I was convinced it was low Iron,  and B vits so I started taking a high dose from a premium brand. Made no difference to my symptoms, but when I went to the docs, he said my levels were too high and to stop the vits. Although a lifelong vege, like Mandy says, my love of leafy greens, broccoli and the like meant I became too high by topping up too much. This surprised me as I'd assumed, without red meat, I'd be naturally low.

Cthrnstowe

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »

I don't take any vitamins, I do eat a lot of leavy greens especially broccoli And I eat a lot of fish, I don't eat much meat x

Cthrnstowe

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 11:27:42 AM »

Hi ladies
Been to see the doctor yet again, had my results back iron levels are fine, he said in fact all my blood results are good, he done my blood pressure that was fine, so feeling a little better, I had got myself all worked up, this health anxiety is awful xx

Cthrnstowe

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 11:50:34 AM »

Hi sparkle
It's crazy how you can convince yourself something is wrong, I went into the doctor like a old woman and came bouncing out like young woman, the doctor must think I'm nuts xx