Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hunger = adrenaline surges?  (Read 9899 times)

Hurdity

Re: Hunger = adrenaline surges?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »

Heavens GypsyRoseLee - no wonder you felt weird! No breakfast? Skittles?! I agree with the others - the first thing you have to do at this time in your life is eat a good healthy diet, little or no refined sugar - except for little treats now and again) and eat slow release foods regularly.

Too much sugar will stimulate insulin production (which takes it out of the blood and stores it in the liver as glycogen and ultimately as fat). If you keep on eating too much sugar in large quantities you can go on to develop insulin resistance ( it no longer works properly to take the sugar out of the blood) and you then can develop Type 2 diabetes. This appears to be increasingly risky for women of our age/stage. It also has the immediate effect of giving you the shakes if you start to eat such large amounts of pure sugar every day - because large amounts of insulin are produced which take it out of the blood very quickly. If there is nothing there then you get low blood sugar symptoms very quickly.

I am very sensitive to blood sugar changes and even before I was peri-menopausal (ie regular periods still) I started getting really bad symptoms pre-menstrually - either due to the progesterone (my own) or the sudden fall - so had to change my breakfast diet from ordinary cereal (which would give me the shakes by mid moring ie not enough) to muesli, porridge or cooked breakfast.

You must eat reguarly and slow release foods as the others have suggested - so at least you won't have these symptoms to contend with. The advantage actually is that you will end up eating less as you won't get so hungry!

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »

Thank you for everyone replies. It's interesting to see what an effect food and blood sugar has on our system.

Hurdity, I didn't realise that about insulin? I have to confess my diet is very far from good. In fact it's rubbish. I still eat like a teenager. Far too much sweet stuff and empty carbs and nowhere near enough protein or fruit and veg.

I really need to get a grip and start eating like a proper grown up. Obviously I have eaten badly and abused my system for too long. And now going into my mid 40s obviously I can't handle it anymore.

If there's a definite link between my poor diet and these nasty adrenaline surges, or feelings of anxiety/jitteriness then I am more than prepared to eat much more healthily and regularly. I really am.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »

Yep!

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 08:16:02 AM »

Hi again GypsyRoseLee

It's not the complete answer - but at least if you eat a proper diet and cut down the sugar spikes you will eliminate any problems due to this - adrenalin surges are still part of menopause (so I gather) but hopefully you will not feel quite so bad if your blood sugar and insulin levels are better regulated! 

Yes to lots of protein and fruit and veg - must have 5-7 a day - also protective against cancers... :)

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:22 AM »

Thanks Hurdity

I think it was an adrenaline surge I experienced. Like a very sharp flash of anxiety/panic in my brain that only lasted a second. Does that sound right? No physical symptoms though.

Last night I had a piece of wholemeal bread before going to bed abd when I woke in the night I didn't feel normal, but didn't have any nasty anxiety ****les.

I had a slice of wholemeal toast and butter for breakfast. So have started the day quite well.

SadLynda

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 11:39:47 AM »

well done on the new diet regime GLR - sounds good so far.

had to be very careful today as last nights dinner upset my stomach big time, not a well bunny at all this morning.  But got brave and had my porridge with water to drink, went out doing the dog walking (very brave of me) apart from the pangs all was well, so had my banana and apple mid morning and also stuck with water.  Feeling better now so going to brave lunch, which is wholemeal toast with raw honey..............and the rest of my eclair from yesterday LOL.. well it was a bad day yesterday, and yes most likely my crisps too.  But, I will behave better after that.  My yoga experts is always banging on about diet and is horrified by the idea of red meat, so I got ostrich steaks for tonight, no collestrol? so must be okay right ;D  Also got a lot of green veg in to have with it.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »

Ostrich steaks?  :o - do you have to catch it ?  ;D is the oven large enough to get a whole leg in  :D
What's wrong with chicken  :-\.  Or fish …….

Eating little and often, even through the night can ease adrenaline surges.  NAPS advised me to eat 3 hourly, so when I had to let the puppy out to pee I had a biscuit before going back to sleep: didn't take her many nights to realise that there were *biscuits* ………  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »

I feel so very much better when I eliminate sugar and cut down on wheat but, as an emotional eater who was once a borderline bulimic, I can go off beam quite quickly.  I definitely notice the connection between days of poor eating patterns, bingeing and being more symptomatic.

Since my husband retired I am much better as I cook proper meals and am not very often totally on my own.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »

Colpermin peppermint capsules, swallowed within an hour of eating the main meals, eases upper gut wind which stops nausea.  Add to that Motillium-type medication swallowed at the same time - this regime saved my Life!

Once the gut settles get into a habit of eating little and often.
Pages: 1 [2]