Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?  (Read 122322 times)

Kat66

Re: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »

Excessive saliva

numb scalp on left side

feeling like there are things on my skin when there isn't

obsessively organising everything in advance

blocked right nostril

crippling feet, like I am walking on the bones of them after a rest.

Does anyone else het the excessive saliva.... just wondering if mandy43 still on here to see if shecstill suffers with this. Thanks in advance

Menomale

« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

Hi Kat66,

I also have excessive saliva, but I'm afraid this has nothing to do with menopause, it has been with me forever. Actually I noted a decrease at late perimenopause (where I think I am now) along with a decrease in digestive issues (heartburn, acid reflux, bloating). These digestive symptoms seems to aggravate during peri and meno. I have no idea why mine have subsided, do you have acid reflux?

On a side note, once I had a reddened area on my tongue and went to see a stomatologist (first time I heard of this branch of medical science). She didn't care about the red area but she diagnosed blocked sublingual salivary glands and explained to me that my other oral glands were trying to counteract that by producing excessive saliva. She gave me some silicone little balls to chew for some minutes 5 times/day and told me I should brush my teeth and wash my mouth with warm water (during shower). I also changed my toothpaste brand and that helped me a lot, now it's just one brand I can tolerate, it's made of sodium bicarbonate and does not have any sweetener (I'm in Brazil, not familiar with brands available in UK), it's called Parodontax.

Hope that helps!

Kat66

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »

Thank you so very much for reply and yes very helpful thank you. It is just a recen thing with me last 5 weeks or so. Drives me mad. Worsens when I think about it also.
  Many thanks did yours slow up did you say has it stayed this way then.
  Kath x

Menomale

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »

Hi again,

Mine is still here but it's not a problem really, I can live with that and it actually helps me as a reminder that I have to swallow more often, another thing that came with perimenopause/ageing, I forget to chew food and hence can't swallow it properly, always gasping  ::)

Do you have any digestive issues? Heartburn, acid reflux, bloating?

XXX

Kat66

« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »

I havent any digestives issues that are new to me since i gave up dairy and wheat some years ago things seemed settled untill this hit me... sometimes i dont notice it but other times im constantly swallowing for all the excessive saluva like ly taste buds/salivary glands gone into overdrive!! Yes have just changed toothpaste as thought maybe that aggravating things.
Glad your sumptoms have faded slightly. Very wearing isnt it
 Kath x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »

I dribble at night, my Dentist assures me that it is lack of oestrogen = laxity of muscles  ::)

jorainbow

« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »

I've just had a good read through this as I lay in the bath...... with a blocked right nostril and tinnitus in my left ear 😂😂😂😂 I've gone downhill rapidly over the last 6 months with many of these symptoms yet periods are still regular. I'll be speaking to my GP this week with a list! !!

babyjane

« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »

I dribble at night, my Dentist assures me that it is lack of oestrogen = laxity of muscles  ::)

really, well I never.  I did wonder why I had started dribbling at night.  I wonder if hubby's snoring is also caused by slack muscles  ::)

Kat66

« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »

Hi Kat66,

I also have excessive saliva, but I'm afraid this has nothing to do with menopause, it has been with me forever. Actually I noted a decrease at late perimenopause (where I think I am now) along with a decrease in digestive issues (heartburn, acid reflux, bloating). These digestive symptoms seems to aggravate during peri and meno. I have no idea why mine have subsided, do you have acid reflux?

On a side note, once I had a reddened area on my tongue and went to see a stomatologist (first time I heard of this branch of medical science). She didn't care about the red area but she diagnosed blocked sublingual salivary glands and explained to me that my other oral glands were trying to counteract that by producing excessive saliva. She gave me some silicone little balls to chew for some minutes 5 times/day and told me I should brush my teeth and wash my mouth with warm water (during shower). I also changed my toothpaste brand and that helped me a lot, now it's just one brand I can tolerate, it's made of sodium bicarbonate and does not have any sweetener (I'm in Brazil, not familiar with brands available in UK), it's called Parodontax.

Hope that helps!

Hi again, sorry for 101 questions but Did the dentist suggest sweetners in toothpastes etc cause this excesx saliva.? Also how do these saliva glands get blocked or is it as someone posted lack of oestrogen makes them loose their elasticity so they get kinks or bends in these veins etc
 Thank you again.
 Thank you to the lady who mentioned what dentist  said about drooling at night too. All tgese comments help so much

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »

Menopause is rarely the cause of blocked salivary glands, this can happen at any age.  Good dental health is important as is avoiding pastes which cause problems, for a while I was unable to eat bananas, chocolate/crossaints after brushing my teeth due to SLS.  Drop of oestrogen can cause laxity of muscles throughout the body  ::) which apparently includes the jaw.

Kat66

« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »

Wow what great information .
 If I can ask what is SSL think CLKD mentioned it cheers

Menomale

« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »

Hi Kath,

Sorry for the late answer, dealing with a nasty flu here...

You can ask whatever and whenever you want, dear! The blocked glands episode happened years ago and I was not in perimenopause. The excessive saliva was a problem for my mum too, she was a nurse and used to tell me that this is called sialorrhea, maybe I have inherited some predisposition genes from her... Scientific papers discuss at least 2 different mechanisms, it can be either due to increased production of saliva (idiopathic or drug-induced) or related to failure of mechanisms that clear and remove saliva from the oral cavity (neurological conditions). The blocked glands fall into idiopathic (no known causes).

My problem with sweeteners is another matter... I have acid reflux and the sweeteners give me nausea and the vomit reflex. If I chew bubble gums that have sweeteners I feel an immediate swelling in my throat, not enough to block it but very scary and annoying. So I have banned sweeteners for good. The toothpaste without mint and sweetener have worked wonders.

Maybe the lack of oestrogen (but it could be just the ageing process)  have a role in poor muscle strenght so we don't retain and swallow saliva so often as we used to do... just a guess. Reading a bit more about this, I found that excessive saliva is common in pregnancy so maybe it's not the lack of oestrogen, but an increase in progesterone... or the imbalance during fluctuations of both...

Anxiety also plays a role... so no wonder it can happen in peri/menopause!

XXX
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:34:08 PM by Menomale »

Kat66

« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »

Oooh so informative menomale real appreciate you taking time to answer x my dad use to have quite a bit of saliva often choking on nothing...
 Dear sounds frightening your reaction to sweetners. Difficult for you.
 Many many thanks xx

Kat66

« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »

Sorry to hear you have had the flu... its been bad everywhere this year hasnt it. Hope you fully recovered soon.
 Thanks to everyone who left replys I have terri le health anxiety has helped me so much.
 Very grateful to you all x

SandJ

« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »

Thanks for starting this thread, Unhinged! I'll use your list as a 'base' for mine if that's ok.
I've been nervous about adding to the list as I have had a chronic health condition for 20+ years and some symptoms I am unsure if they are caused by menopause or not. In my list I'll put ++ sign against those I've had for years. The others started with a recurrence of hot flashes last March.

1). Day and night flushes - mostly day for me, but this could be because I take gabapentin for sleep. Right now I get 10 - 14 per day, 2-3 at night
2), Anxiety, low grade most of the time other than when the gabapentin kicks in ++
3). Generally feeling rough like I could be starting a virus. ++
4). No energy - tiredness and sleepiness. ++
5). Feeling overwhelmed, like I can't cope. ++
6). Surging 'rushes' from chest upwards - adrenaline? - these occur with hot flashes
7). Feel pressure in head - not vicelike but 24/7
8). Flashes of irritability and sometimes rage
9). Sensitive to noise. ++
10). Can't always cope with a long conversation. ++
11). Brain fog/can't think straight/forgetfulness. ++
12). Can't cope with pressure, ie work stress. ++
13). Extreme bilateral tinnitus all the time - which gets worse when I have a hot flash, when I'm tired, when I'm sick. The sound, if not the volume, is like a school fire alarm, or sometimes like bees buzzing, but high pitched. I experience in my head, not my ears. I've had this since March and it's one of my most concerning symptoms, I feel like something is really 'wrong' in there...
14) light sensitive ++
15) Panic attack sensation with each hot flash - raised heart rate
16) Every ounce of my energy suddenly running out, with most hot flashes, to the point I feel I can't open my eyelids or talk
17) Dry skin
18) Static hair (!) - all the time, awful
19) Sudden drop in energy after eating - to the point I have to lie down

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16