Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Irregular bleed  (Read 1591 times)

Spangles

Irregular bleed
« on: August 28, 2015, 06:32:24 AM »

Hi Ladies
I started to spot 6 days into my 12 days of utrogestan, I'm been having a bad time with high anxiety, thinking I'm having a breakdown, poorly tummy etc, since this early bleed.
I only took the utrogestan until the 10th day.
However the night before I started to spot I had run out of 100mg capsules, I take 2 vaginally as I am on 200mg and they don't make 200 any more. Because I had ran out I used a 200mh capsule instead (I still had half a packet left over, which are still in date).
Does anyone think this could have anything to do with what I am experiencing? Also I'm not sure when to start my utrogestan again due to the early bleed, does any one know?
Thankyou
Shellb
xXx

Dancinggirl

Re: Irregular bleed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »

I doubt that different capsule would have made a difference. It is advised you still use the full 12-14 days of Utro even if you start to spot or bleed early to ensure you shed the lining properly.
If you read the leaflet - erratic spotting and problematic bleeding is a side effect of Utrogestan and it says your doctor may change the way you use Utro if this is a problem.  I've been having problems with this - on my recent phase of Utro, I started spotting on day 8, bleeding proper on day 10 and then, though I took the full 14 days of 200mg of Utro, the bleed is only just starting to subside  - so I've been bleeding 9 days altogether.  I am hoping things will settle but my gynae says I should try conti Utro if it doesn't. 
Keep to the regime you are meant to do - counting 1-28 days and take the Utro for the full 12 days next time even if you bleed early or not - this will hopefully get your body into a routine. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »

Hi - perhaps depends on whether you are post-meno or not, but as Dancinggirl says you do need to take the full term of progesterone although if a proper bleed happens this is difficult with vaginal use. Ideally the bleed happens after you stop the progesterone so that you can use it vaginally and all of it will be absorbed. If it continues to come early and the last few days of progesterone don't absorb (due to full bleeding) then maybe start your cycle again with the first day of proper bleed as Day1 . You might eventually get out of sync though? Tricky in peri-menopause!

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 05:16:39 AM »

Hello DG and Hurdity
I never get a proper period it is so light I only need to use a panty liner, however the pain is excruciating, almost like my body is forcing something that isn't there.
xXx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:49:59 AM »

I seem to get a lot of cramps as well - far more than I used to on other progesterones - again this is mentioned as a side effect of Utro in the leaflet.  I find the cramps very tiring and as I can't take NSAIDs only paracetamol or codeine which doesn't really do much but take the edge off, I do find this annoying.
Shellb - I don't now how long you have ben using Utro but I found the bleeds got more substantial after the first couple of bleeds.  I will be seriously considering moving to the conti way of using Utro if the bleeds prove to be problematic.  DG x