Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Supportive GPs and Dentists  (Read 2082 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Supportive GPs and Dentists
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »

I have been lucky.  My GP and I are of a similar age  ;) and as an Orthpaedic Secretary I won't put up with crap advice.  If I feel that he has had a bad morning and not explained 'properly', I'll go back for another appt., saying "I obviously wasn't listening last time, could you explain again …….. " or "Can you remind me what you suggested" ……. if I can't get an appt. I will see the Practice Nurse for advice.

When suffering severe depression I would turn up at the Surgery and sit; it was where I felt safe.  He would fit me in to reassure me, sometimes I was there several times a week.  With a loving Husband and the GP support, I survived.  One day he drove by me whilst I was walking my dog, rang me later that day to tell me to attend the next morning.  He had noted that I was bent over, a typical stance for me when depressed.

When it came to menopause it was my GP who suggested I might have VA  ::) and prescribed accordingly.

My Dental Surgeon has been good too.  He has done a Psychologicy Degree, I have e-mailed him today to ask for his knowledge on this 'time of Life'  ;) with a view to interacting with his Practice Staff to make them meno aware.

Watch this space?

Hurdity

Re: Supportive GPs and Dentists
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »

Glad you have had good support when you need it CLKD!

My gynae GP at local practice is lovely and is the same age as me - have been with her for years for all things female - and she has always listened to me and prescribed what I have asked for, as well as being diligent with tests and referrals.  :) Wish I could say the same about my fairly new other regular female GP  >:(

I've always had good (NHS) dentists. I think we are quite lucky in the SW as the doctors and dentists don't have such huge numbers of people to see as it's a rural area

Hurdity x

babyjane

Re: Supportive GPs and Dentists
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »

I want to sing out in praise of my GP and my consultant endocrinologist. I realise how fortunate I am. They are both lovely, patient and supportive and let me work with them in my treatment and talk to me not at me. I am truly thankful for them both.