Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: GP's apparent dis-regard of symptoms as presented  (Read 2735 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
GP's apparent dis-regard of symptoms as presented
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »

Again we hear from our ladies here that apparently, GPs are not prepared to treat symptoms when a lady presents in Surgeries.  How can we encourage GPs to take note of up-2-date suggestions on HRT etc.?  Of course we shouldn't put all symptoms down to menopause but if there are problems with vaginal dryness, flushing, anxiety with no obvious cause …..

I have 2-day sent an e-mail to my dental surgery asking that 'age' symptoms should be taken into consideration when ladies have gum/tooth problems.  I have a good working relationship with my Dental Surgeon and Staff, hopefully they will come back with a positive response. 

I have browsed the 'shop' pages here and there may be some preparations which could help symptoms ……. there is a poster too which if I remember  :-X I will print off to take to the Surgery. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:16:44 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: GP's apparent dis-regard of symptoms as presented
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »

:thankyou:

Do start a thread when you've had good support!  [like I have so far  ;) ]

LW44

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »

ckld. i went to dentist 6 months ago .. my gums had been bleeding.. said i had gum disease.. they had been bleeding on and off for about a year..i never realised the link.. x

Chi chi

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »

Yep receding gums here too! Always at the dentist  ::)

Briony

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »

Great post CKLD. Best thing I ever did was swap GP. Trouble is, I was in such a bad place I didn't have the energy to sort out a new practice (was also scared they'd judge me on the basis of previous GP treating me like a hypochondriac). Current practice is wonderful - everything the NHS should be. So open minded and patient friendly. Annoyed I didn't pluck up the courage to move years ago! Xx

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »

As good as my practice is I can't see them being happy with advice from me, so I will just continue to get my prescriptions and keep the status quo  :-X

Honeyb
x

pricey

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »

Hi all,

I just asked a question on another thread that relates to this.

I've had heavy short cycles for 3-4 years and now have symptoms such as racing heart, breathlessness, anxiety, sleep disturbances, occasional brief feelings of 'heat', tearfulness, etc, but my GP says since I'm not having flushes per se and my periods are still 'regular' albeit the cycles are only 23 days sometimes, I can't start HRT. The best she can offer is a Mirena (but then I could well start missing periods, purely because of the coil, so would I suddenly be a candidate for HRT, then??). Are missed periods and flushes the only way you can get HRT? I know my older sister was prescribed it just because she hit 49-50 and she found it wonderful. Mum and sisters all had a v late menopause (56-7!) and I dread being like this for that long. I'm 50. I just feel like another woman has crept inside my skin. :(

Briony

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:45:29 AM »

Hi all,

I just asked a question on another thread that relates to this.

I've had heavy short cycles for 3-4 years and now have symptoms such as racing heart, breathlessness, anxiety, sleep disturbances, occasional brief feelings of 'heat', tearfulness, etc, but my GP says since I'm not having flushes per se and my periods are still 'regular' albeit the cycles are only 23 days sometimes, I can't start HRT. The best she can offer is a Mirena (but then I could well start missing periods, purely because of the coil, so would I suddenly be a candidate for HRT, then??). Are missed periods and flushes the only way you can get HRT? I know my older sister was prescribed it just because she hit 49-50 and she found it wonderful. Mum and sisters all had a v late menopause (56-7!) and I dread being like this for that long. I'm 50. I just feel like another woman has crept inside my skin. :(

:welcomemm:

You poor thing. It seems so unfair that HRT seems to be postcode/GP dependent rather than symptom dependent! I am 43 and even with fewer of the 'obvious' symptoms that you have, and never having had a flush, my current GP was happy to prescribe it. Perhaps an email to Dr Currie (£25) could help your case? Good luck x

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »

All for the sake of 40p a day, they keep HRT from us. :o

SadLynda

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »

You already know about my GP, and the last one. :(  Still trying to find somewhere to change to, but not looking good so far.

Now I am thinking a little more rationally, not much but a little.  Seems to me my GP is clueless about HRT and menopause - I do know there is a new one starting next month though, might go see her before making any rash decisions.