Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sadly slipping  (Read 2652 times)

Spangles

Sadly slipping
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:39:02 AM »

Hi ladies
I've been struggling for a little while now and I really do feel I'm entering another depressive episode. I'm frightened to death. I don't want to see the doctor as the options will be to revisit the councillor or CBT, both of which I have had before and do not work for me. The other option is to change from 40mg citalopram to sertraline. I don't want to do this either as I need to ween off the citalopram to go onto the sertraline. This is something that terrifies me. I have just gone back to work after having summer off, I wok in education at a a college. Does anyone have any advice.
Thank you
Shellb
xXx

Rebelyell

Re: Sadly slipping
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »

I sympathise but have no real answers.  I find keeping busy and being with people the medicine.

See your GP?

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:18:23 AM »

Hi Rebelyell
In my original post I detailed the options from the GP, the only other option was to increase my oestrogen from 50 to 75. My partner assures me that 'we' will get through this again but it is difficult when you are in a dark place.
xXx

SadLynda

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »

Hi Shelb, I know that place all too well.  Just now I am aware I cannot do this alone anymore so going to talk to my GP today.  If you do not like the options from your GP perhaps visit a different one? or change practice for a fresh pair of eyes on your troubles?
At the moment (and this can change in an instant ;)) I feel we DESERVE to be looked after and have the best available treatment to make us feel human again, and if we dont go after that no b****r else will.

Hope you can find something to help you soon, as this place is not so good to be in.

Rebelyell

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »

Good that you've got a partner.  Mine has been wonderful.  I have never liked man bashing as many I know are really supportive of their wives at this time of life.

Take care.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »

Mine doesn't say much as I don't really think he understands.....but he is just sort of there if I need him. Always has a cuddle ready and sometimes that's all I need.
I'm also very very lucky with my daughter who is a little star. She is nearly 21 but always spots if I'm a bit down and makes time just to chat.

Good luck at the doctors, I really hope you get the help you need.

Things do improve although it can be a slow process. Three years ago I was a real mess but there have been improvements.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:22:16 PM »

DO NOT try to fight depression alone.  If the Citalopram isn't working then you need another AD, the brain does become used to medication and occasionally needs a boost.  The longer you leave trying another drug the longer your brain will take to recover.  You could speak with a Pharmacist to see what else is available then go to your GP!

Spangles

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »

Thank you all
The option with AD's is to change to Sertraline but I will have to reduce from 40 mg down to 10mg befor switching. I know this will nock me around and I've just started a new academic year at work so I can't take any time off. Then again it could just be down to hormones but how do you know?
I just can't think of a trigger other than returning to work anxiety.
Shellb
xXx

LW44

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »

hi shelb

how old are you if you dont mind me asking? are you peri menopausal ?  i was convinced after a panic attack which came from nowhere that my "depression" was coming back and i was having another depressive episode  - last one was over 5 years ago... in the meantime i have divorced and now re-marrying next yr and very happy... so really couldnt understand it...anxiety went into overdrive..convinced id be rendered useless and not be able to leave house, consequently all the desperate feelings of panic returned..which in turn lowered my mood..i am on 50mg sertraline have been for years . missing the odd dose through the week for last few years.. anyway after tests and other symptoms seems um peri menopausal.. so perscribed hrt... i was same couldnt face switching anti d.. couldnt up dose as intolerant... ive just slowly but surely. improved.. been 8 wks on hrt... mood gradually lifting..anxiety becoming duller.. back at work.. had two weeks off sick a month ago.. and gradually live getting back to "normal"  im.not there completely by a long shot.. as been totally freaked out by it all..  so.. im not sure if yr the same..we are all different... but i am convinced mine was hormonal.. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »

It took me 9 years of reducing the dose of an AD to get rid of any side-effects, my GP had access to smaller amounts of the drug than is available for general use.  Each time I reduced the amount I had panic and other effects which lasted for 24 hours, once I got my head round that they didn't last too long I was able to relax and accept ……

Add hormones to the mix  >:(  ::) and it can be very difficult to deal with.

Sunnydays

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »

Hi Shelbe
I too am in education and just to say sending good thoughts to you. It's always difficult going back after the summer break plus I'm very aware of the pressures in FE. I've hD to talk myself through going back to work.