Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suddenly short sighted?  (Read 10812 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Suddenly short sighted?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »

My Optician warned me 4-5 years ago that I would eventually need distance lenses, that time has come.  Not suddenly nor a shock but I collect my new prescription tomorrow.

Pollie

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »

Taz - in a nutshell yes

The expression 'short sightedness' refers to our 'distance' vision and is very simply speaking what we are born with.

In healthy eyes we would not expect our distance vision to change much until cataracts develop naturally in later years.

Near vision however deteriorates due to ageing from about 40 years onwards.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »

Yip, my eyes have deteriorated in my 40s and the last time the optician said there was a marked difference.....gah!!!

Briony

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »

Hi Briony

Is it your distance vision that has changed or your near vision ?

Do you have your current and previous prescriptions - do you know how much change?

Your GP will most likely refer you to your local hospital Ophthalmology dept. This will be graded  as a 'routine' referral or an 'urgent' referral by the hospital depending on what your doctor writes in the referral letter. What your doctor writes will depend upon what the optician says.

If I were you I would go back to the optician and ask for a copy of the report and then whilst you are there ask the optician to explain. It is possible that the optician saw something in the back of your eye that requires a referral.

On the other hand it is entirely possible that you have worsening near vision which is perfectly normal in the 40's and 50's and can happen quite quickly is some people -particularly if previous near vision checks were not accurate .....

Let us know how you get on

Pollie

Hi Pollie

Last year it was virtually 20/20. Had a v mild prescription for close reading. This time it was  -1.00 -1.50 100 and -1.00 -1.50 80. Not really sure what any of it means. Went in today to collect the new contacts (they'd phoned) but by the time I got there they had been lost!
 Still waiting to hear back from gp once she's received the letter. X

Briony

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 09:41:27 PM »

Really helpful posts - thank you all of you. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »

There's a New World out there  ;D - distance glasses are GREAT!

When do you get your appt.?
Pages: 1 [2]