Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 2427 times)

sanchez

Hi there
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »

Hi Girls,

I'm new and really pleased to find this forum.
I have no idea where I am with my meno. I have Mirena coil, but I have had 'loadsasymptoms' which made me get myself to the docs a couple of months ago. I am 47, mum of two teenage boys (hurray! perfect timing!).
In June I had a huge amount of work-related stress and the doc gave me Citalopram. She glazed-over the menopause (while I sat there crying), but I did have a series of blood tests and x-rays. Will be back for a review soon, but just wanted to say 'Thanks' to all on here. You are helping me so much with 'the journey'. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »

:welcomemm:  blood tests don't say a lot about menopause because hormone levels alter all the while.  What was the X-ray for?  Did the Citalopram help any?

Have a browse of the pull-down menus, top of screen.  Ask away!

sanchez

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »

Hi! Thanks CLKD for your response.

To be honest I was in the docs thinking I had work-related stress. It wasn't til I got home and Googled my various symptoms that the penny dropped. I'm sure that rings true with many ladies on here? I am a teacher and I was having palpitations, shortness of breath and awful anxiety in class. Doctor read that as a panic attack.
I had blood tests, CCG and got sent for an X-ray (to rule out hazardous materials in my work environment which was also a concern of mine).
I am 3 weeks into the Citalopram. Bit early days yet.
I am curious though of how a doctor can ascertain how far into menopause you are if you have Mirena (and consequently no periods) ?
I have to go back in a few weeks see what the next steps are. Wondering how she will diagnose?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:38:51 PM »

I'm sure someone will be along to give you some idea  ::).   Certainly anxiety surges can be caused by the body becoming suddenly hungry as hormone levels rise and fall  >:( so eating little and often can ease that.

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »

Hello Sanchez,
I just started a thread about anxiety in another part of the forum.  Also just had blood tests for everything.

Afraid I cant help you, but can certainly empathise with your symptoms.

Timing is rubbish for me too, my daughter has pre-natal depression, my Mum has congestive heart failure and we are suspecting Dad is starting with Alziemers - all good fun :o  The nurse asked me last week, 'do you have any stress in your life'?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »

Hi sanchez

:welcomemm:

You are right that if you have a Mirena then it can be difficult for doctors to tell how far into menopause you are  - as it will stop periods before they would otherwise stop. Doctors usually can tell through a combination of symptoms and periods.

Unfortunately for you the docs have prescribed ADs on the basis of the stress without looking at the bigger picutre which you yourself have done. The new draft NICE guidelines on menopause say that docs shold not prescribe ADs for menopause symptoms, but HRT - although first the doc has to recognise that this is also going on. Blood tests can be helpful sometimes but if you are not having periods then you won't know where in the cycle you are (which can make them difficult to interpret) and a single blood test may well be meaningless!

You might want to discuss with your doc stopping the Mirena for a while to see what your periods are doing and then depending on the outcome perhaps thinking about HRT, with the Citalopram as a short-term stop-gap maybe? The good news is that if you tolerate the Mirena well - then it's very easy to start HRT as you just add oestrogen - the progestogen in the Mirena will protect your womb.

It is too easy for doctors to look for stress (which many of us suffer due to life events - at some time or another) and then just dish out ADs to calm us all down - without looking at other things like menopause!

Do ask if there is anything you would like help with - as sparkle says - there is a lot of support on here from women going through the same - or having done so!

Hurdity  x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »

:thankyou:  Hurdity

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:38:13 PM »

Hello sancheez and welcome to the forum.

You are not alone on this journey and help is always at hand.
I like your comment about living with teenage boys at this time in our lives, I bet the hormones are bouncing off the walls in your house lol!

Take care.

K.