Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: lost my dog  (Read 12247 times)

peri

lost my dog
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

I had to put my beloved family dog to sleep yesterday and I just can't stop crying.  Don't know if it's this horrible menopause that's making everything worse but I'm a mess.  Thanks for listening.

Taz2

Re: lost my dog
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »

I think that with or without menopause, peri, it's perfectly natural to feel like this having lost such a big part of your life. Take time to grieve. It's a very upsetting time. There are lots of us on here who know exactly how emotional you will be feeling.

Taz x  :hug:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »

Oh peri - my condolences.  The loss of a family pet should not be underestimated - they were part of the family and very important.  I'm welling up just thinking about how you must be feeling.  :hug:
I was in the most terrible state for weeks when we lost our last dog - we found him dead on the lawn and he was only 7 years old - the vet did an autopsy and said it was probably a brain haemorrhage so he wouldn't have suffered but, boy, did we suffer.    DG xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ellie

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

Peri  :hug: XXX , I know how you are feeling as we have had to do it in the past.....and I have a very sick doggy now, so it's going to happen again.  I Carnt say anything that will ease your pain......yes time will make it easier, but for now  :hug:

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »

I am so very sorry.

This has helped me a little in the past.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Honeyb
x

SadLynda

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »

So sorry Peri.  I would also say this is natural and not due to the meno. (this time).

I have had many dogs, we had 5 at one time.. we have 3 at the moment.  We lost 3 of our oldies in the space of 9 months and it took me some time to recover from that one, they are often our closest companions so of course we are going to miss them terribly.  I used to think people with many dogs got used to it, but I can say now they dont, each one hurts just as much as the last.
In my case I love my dogs more than most people.

take time to grieve and take care of yourself :bighug:

Tabbycat

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »

So sorry, Peri, I know what it's like to lose a pet (well, they're more than a pet, aren't they?).

It's perfectly normal to feel grief and even guilt. It will take time but eventually you'll be able to think of them without crying.

The Blue Cross have a pet bereavement service: https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-support - you might find it helps.

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »

My sympathies, too, Peri.   :hug:

We lost our little cat last year and I still miss her like crazy.   I imagine her here and there and even talk to her memory when I need to.  She and I used to listen to music together (she really did listen) and even now, I can get the weepies when one of her favourites comes on.   I took her to the vet's by myself, to have her put down and I don't think I'll ever forget how I felt during her final moments.   We're all thinking of you. 
Dulciana x

Night_Owl

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 02:16:11 PM »

Peri, sending condolences, so sorry to read about your loss - it's devastating.

I so know how you feel. 

As mentioned by Tabbycat, I spoke to an excellent Counsellor at the Blue Cross Pet Bereavement Service - it really helped, may be worth a try.

My late Mum's darling sweet Yorkie girl had to be put to sleep 3 weeks ago.  I was/am a mess.

Couldn't stop sobbing for days, in fact more than I've ever cried in my life.  Meno magnifies all emotions for me.

OH keeps reminding me to rationalise everything, how ill and old she was etc etc - but the emotional part of my brain doesn't understand, so still allowing myself to cry every day to release the sadness.

slowly, slowly, I keep thinking - the old cliche ... time.

Take care, be kind to yourself.

xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »

Time, time, time : grieving must not be rushed   -    "If it should be …… "

There will be a huge gap ………

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that Peri. Thoughts with you. x

peri

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »

Thank you everyone for your lovely kind words.  He was a rescue dog we took him off death row when he was just a puppy and he lasted 13 1/2 years, still it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, the house feels empty without him. Honeybun I couldn't get through your post without crying, I'll copy it down when I'm feeling stronger.  Tabbycat I'm have a look at the bluecross link, thank you.  Night owl I think I'm the same it's hard enough as it is but memo magnifies everything as well.  Thanks again everyone it means a lot.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »

Didn't mean to make you cry, but you may well want to read back later and it has helped me in the past.

We all do understand and it's so very hard but perhaps in the future you will offer another little dog a loving home.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »

You loved him, he loved you.  Pets leave paw prints on our hearts  ;)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »

So sorry to hear of your loss - it will take time but you will get over it and be able to remember him with smiles instead of tears.  Run free at the Bridge little one xxx
Pages: [1] 2 3